Certifications back to back: no way!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Not to point fingers or lay blame, but I cannot understand why you were unable to extricate yourself from a situation where you were supposed to have superior knowledge and experience."

Playing the victim in a Rescue class isn't quite the same as a normal buddy dive. I remember floating on my back with my eyes closed, with both arms pinned behind me like a straight jacket while the rescuer struggled to get me out of my BC without using the quick releases ('loosen the straps first!') while struggling with the swimming, his own gear and rescue breathing. Being a 'victim' in the middle of a 'rescue' is one of those times in which you really are dependent on others. Our conscientious dive instructor kept me safe and failed the buddy until he got a whole rescue drill right.

And I agree with Cabrerad. Taking AOW on my first non-certifying trip save my from the bad habits of some of my more experience (at that time) friends. It also made me much more comfortable in the water--confident and cautious, without some of the reckless habits I was surprised to see in my friends with whom I now rarely dive.

Back
Top Bottom