Certified today, SWEET!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swmarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I finished my naui certification dives today in Hoodsport,Wa!! It was pretty fun even though the visibility was at max about 15ft. There wasn't much to see except lots of oysters, a few crabs, some anemone oh and a ton of silt. Compass navigation was the best part for me since I enjoy navigation and mapping on land I thought it was even more fun underwater.
I do have one question though I did four dives total and and trying to determine my SAC rate.
Dive 1
PSI in:2900 out:2100, 30min, max20ft. ave10ft

Dive 2
PSI in:2600 out: 1900, 30min., max55ft. ave.20t

Dive 3
PSI in:2900 out: 2600, 30min., max15ft. ave. 15ft.

Dive 4
PSI in: 2600 out:1900, 30min., max30ft. ave.15ft.

So I went through and calculated my rate and ended up with a really low average of
11.5lbs/min which seems a little low. So if someone could explain the correct way to determine your sac rate.

Congrats on passing your checkout dives! And if you can dive in the waters of WA, you're pretty much gonna feel comfortable anywhere.

Have fun.... SAC Calculator

I finished my naui certification dives today in Hoodsport,Wa!! It was pretty fun even though the visibility was at max about 15ft. There wasn't much to see except lots of oysters, a few crabs, some anemone oh and a ton of silt. Compass navigation was the best part for me since I enjoy navigation and mapping on land I thought it was even more fun underwater.
I do have one question though I did four dives total and and trying to determine my SAC rate.
Dive 1
PSI in:2900 out:2100, 30min, max20ft. ave10ft

Dive 2
PSI in:2600 out: 1900, 30min., max55ft. ave.20t

Dive 3
PSI in:2900 out: 2600, 30min., max15ft. ave. 15ft.

Dive 4
PSI in: 2600 out:1900, 30min., max30ft. ave.15ft.

So I went through and calculated my rate and ended up with a really low average of
11.5lbs/min which seems a little low. So if someone could explain the correct way to determine your sac rate.

Marc,

Congratulations on the OW cert. You obviously are happy with your decision to start diving. You will feel more and more comfortable as you continue to make successful dives. Continue your training and keep diving to keep up your skills.

Regarding your SAC, you should dedicate a dive to determining your SAC rate by descending to about 30 feet, and noting on a slate your starting time and starting pressure, swim without changing depth for about 10 minutes either along a course or back and forth along a line. Note your ending time and pressure, and then follow the formula for SAC and RMV calculations. Trying to determine your SAC from an entire dive doesn't really work since you are using air to add to your BC. If you remain at the same level while you are swimming, you should avoid having to change your BC pressure for buoyancy control.

Good luck, have fun and dive safe!

Congratulations!

congrats on the certification. Now the underwater world is yours to explore and respect. Dive Safe.

Marc,

Congratulations on the OW cert. You obviously are happy with your decision to start diving. You will feel more and more comfortable as you continue to make successful dives. Continue your training and keep diving to keep up your skills.

Regarding your SAC, you should dedicate a dive to determining your SAC rate by descending to about 30 feet, and noting on a slate your starting time and starting pressure, swim without changing depth for about 10 minutes either along a course or back and forth along a line. Note your ending time and pressure, and then follow the formula for SAC and RMV calculations. Trying to determine your SAC from an entire dive doesn't really work since you are using air to add to your BC. If you remain at the same level while you are swimming, you should avoid having to change your BC pressure for buoyancy control.

Good luck, have fun and dive safe!

That sounds like a good plan. I am headed to Florida for work in a week and hopefully I will get the opportunity there to do that.

Isn't the "warm" Northwest water just great? Sure wakes you up!

Find some diving friends and keep diving.

Isn't the "warm" Northwest water just great? Sure wakes you up!

Find some diving friends and keep diving.

I have already got my brother taking the course this coming fall semester, and I am going to be a TA for next year as well so I will be able to keep my skills up while I am at school.

On a side note anyone here ever use Harvey's suits? One of the guys that I certified with was the son of the current owner and he was the future owner. He was pretty cool and I told him I would give him a call when I was ready to buy a suit.

Back
Top Bottom