CESA - why? I'll never run low on air!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Aborting straight up without breathing is by definition a CESA.
Wrong!
Rick

I gotta agree with String on this one. I was trained that a CESA was a "blow and go." There was no breathing, only exhaling as you swam up. If you are still breathing from a reg, how is it an emergency?

Comrade

Edit- this is a quote from my BOW book from SDI.

"If you find yourself in a situation where you run out of air and your buddy is not within a close distance to assist, it's possible to make a safe ascent to the surface without any air......
......To perform an emergency swimming ascent, signal "out of air." Look up, reach up and exhale through your second stage as you swim slowly to the surface
"

The original term for a "blow and go" was a "free ascent" it later became an ESE and then a CSE and then a CESA, but that's all really just lawyer speak.

The terminology is getting all messed up. My padi book from 1993 implies that CESA was blow and go. Now my son's ssi book doesn't even talk about it, instead choosing swimming ESA (breathing and ascending), and bouyant ESA (breathing without the weight belt).

If they don't teach him CESA in SSI, I'll have to do it later in our pond.

fire_diver:
I gotta agree with String on this one. I was trained that a CESA was a "blow and go." There was no breathing, only exhaling as you swam up. If you are still breathing from a reg, how is it an emergency?
So the only emergencies that might require a safe, rapid return to the surface involve being out of air?
*** once again, this thread is about Controlled (as in "in control") Emergency (as in "I have an emergency other than OOA), Swimming (as opposed to buoyant) Ascents. If you have someting constructive to contribute to a discussion of this type emergency ascent, please do so. If you want to argue that the only CESA is a C(OOA)ESA then you're in the wrong thread.
Start your own and discuss it there.
Why is this concept so hard for you and String to grasp?
Rick

ARGH!!! What is with all the he-mans....{banging head on wall}

kinda makes it hard to hold a serious discussion, doesn't it ... might as well give up until .. umm 2pm west coast time tomorrow :D

Rick Murchison:
So the only emergencies that might require a safe, rapid return to the surface involve being out of air?
*** once again, this thread is about Controlled (as in "in control") Emergency (as in "I have an emergency other than OOA), Swimming (as opposed to buoyant) Ascents. If you have someting constructive to contribute to a discussion of this type emergency ascent, please do so. If you want to argue that the only CESA is a C(OOA)ESA then you're in the wrong thread.
Start your own and discuss it there.
Why is this concept so hard for you and String to grasp?
Rick

I am a stupid man, so I just go by the book:

CESA, page 165, PADI Open Water Manual, 1990.

"""""Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent:

You learned in the Knowledge Development portion of this module that the controlled emergency swimming ascent is one option if your air supply is lost at 30 to 40 feet or less, and your buddy is not close enough to assist with his alternate air source.

Emergency swimming ascent are interesting because you start with air in your lungs, exhale all the way to the surface, and still have air in your lungs when you get there. This is due to the air expanding in your lungs as you ascend. The potential hazard in this technique is a lung-expansion injury, but this is avoided by not holding your breath."""""

This is verbatim. And it agrees with String, who I believe is a PADI instructor.

fisherdvm:
I am a stupid man, so I just go by the book:

CESA, page 165, PADI Open Water Manual, 1990.

"""""Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent:

You learned in the Knowledge Development portion of this module that the controlled emergency swimming ascent is one option if your air supply is lost at 30 to 40 feet or less, and your buddy is not close enough to assist with his alternate air source.

Emergency swimming ascent are interesting because you start with air in your lungs, exhale all the way to the surface, and still have air in your lungs when you get there. This is due to the air expanding in your lungs as you ascend. The potential hazard in this technique is a lung-expansion injury, but this is avoided by not holding your breath."""""

This is verbatim. And it agrees with String, who I believe is a PADI instructor.
PADI does not know what "mastery" is ... why would then know what a CESA is?

Back
Top Bottom