Chalk line reel for deploying SMB ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec

Reaction score
anyone heard about a line rolled on a pencil that you can roll with the SMB (Surface Marker Buoy)...or using a chalk line reel(without powder of course..lol)? Heard that long time ago but can't remember when or where...

Scuba-Quebec:
anyone heard about a line rolled on a pencil that you can roll with the SMB (Surface Marker Buoy)...or using a chalk line reel(without powder of course..lol)? Heard that long time ago but can't remember when or where...

I've seen the chalk line or "chalk box" used in place of a safety spool. By a very accomplished diver, local tech instructor.

He claims they work plenty fine, just look for the one that are mostly plastic, and leave the chalk out of course.

On the other hand you can get a very nice bare finger spool for only $6, pardon the self serving link.
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html

scroll down the page a bit.

Regards,

Tobin

Generally,

chalk line = braided line = good.

Nylon seine twine = 3 strands twisted together = snarls = bad.

------

I've used both a pencil and even better, a cylume as a core to wrap line around. For a short 30' length of line to deploy a dsmb at 15' or 20' stop I've found it more convenient to simply wrap the cord around a small sausage itself.

At marine stores you can find multistrand braided cord in really bright colors. Hi-brite is a typical tradename. 2mm and 3mm sizes are about right. These seem to be much less prone to snarls than other cords/twines.

For deployment deeper than 15', you will probably find a spool or reel, although bulkier, is a much better option.

YMMV. Experiment a bit and tell us what works best for you.

Want to go one even better. Use the chaulk box but use "jet line" in it. Jet line is usually orange and is VERY strong but thin. Don't know what it is made out of but it is usually used for laying out suspended ceiling grid.

I use a spool rather than a reel to shoot a DSMB. Reels add an additional chance of jamming which can result in unwanted rides or lost bouys. I see many folks using quality scuba reels without problem. The cheaper the reel, the more likelihood of problems.

I just picked up a 1 lb spool of #24 braided nylon. That's 710 ft @ about 1.5 cents per foot.

puckvirus:
Any one consider using a strand from the inside gutts of 550 parachute cord?

Sounds like a waste of 550 cord... provided your probably a rigger or know one... but braided nylon is cheap and plentiful enough....

[c]WHERE??[/c]

awap:
I use a spool rather than a reel to shoot a DSMB. Reels add an additional chance of jamming which can result in unwanted rides or lost bouys. I see many folks using quality scuba reels without problem. The cheaper the reel, the more likelihood of problems.

I just picked up a 1 lb spool of #24 braided nylon. That's 710 ft @ about 1.5 cents per foot.

Ben_ca:
Sounds like a waste of 550 cord... provided your probably a rigger or know one... but braided nylon is cheap and plentiful enough....

Yea thats a really going point, but I know allot of times I toss the gutts out and use outside cord, so thats why I suggested something like that. And in addition because the strength for one of those strands and considering the size one might be able to use more of it per spool length wise:

Use a finger spool for your surface bouy. I keep my bouy in a mesh surface bouy pocket from Dive Rite which hangs on the bottom of my back plate and have the spool pre connected to it with a stainless double end snap and the other end of the snap on a waste band mounted D-Ring. All I have to do to get it is un-snap it from the D ring and rip open the velcro on the pocket by pulling out the marker, and I have the marker ready to go. I add a few breaths of exaust bubbles to preload the marker and get it overhead, then I use BC air to fill it, dumping my boyancy from BC into the marker so I don't rise up from added marker lift. I hold tension as long as required to get a good fill of the marker and then release it.
As the spool has no knobs or shafts, there is nothing for line to hang up on and drag me up above my deco stop. I usually deploy it from 40'. Then I wind it up tight and zero my boyancy again. It's easy to do even in the dark using a mask strap mounted Mini Q 40 light for hands free illumination. The spool is the only way to go and Cool Hardware has a great price on theirs. $20.00 is a steal. http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom