Change from Sony VX2100 to ?? XR520?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recif

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my video gears to HD. I've currently a VX2100 in a extrem'vision housing.
I've been told the one wich suit the best to replace my vx2100 is the Sony XR-520... I'd like to have your advice about it! I need a camcorder as good as the vx2100 concerning the light sensibility, because I never use additional light (examples of videos I made: sous-la-mer.com/modules.php?name=dvd
the housing will be : aditech-uw.com/product_info.php?products_id=871

What do you think about this choice?
Thanks

I own the XR520 and I think it's incredible the light this little camera is able to get in. Don't just take my word for it: have a look at slashcam.com, compare it with others and you'll see what I mean. You'd have to go really much higher the price scale to get a similar low-light performer.

The one thing I'm not happy with is the autofocus, which something of a hit-and-miss. Sometimes it really strives to lock, whether in low-light or not.

Give it a try if you can.

Hi,

Thanks for answer.
Ok for the light, but did you ever try the vx2100 cam? Because I have to compare withn, it is really impressive... So I have to compare...
For the autofocus no problem, I never use it underwater.

Thanks

The VX-2100 is a 1 Lux 3CCD camera. Within the Sony line you'd have to get a 3CMOS model to get anywhere near that low.

Most of the 1CMOS RX/CX series cameras are 11 Lux at 1/60th, 3 Lux at 1/30th with the slow speed shutter turned on. I've read that shooting HDV inherently requires more light.

The HDR-FX7 is a 4 Lux 3CMOS camera. ($1999) Gates makes a housing for it. Ronscuba who posts here often has one.

The HDR-FX1000 is a 1.5 Lux 3CMOS camera. ($3199) I don't know if anyone makes a housing for it though. Maybe Equinox.

If money is no concern, there's the PMW-EX1/EX3 also. Gates makes a housing for it. Amphibico and Equinox do also.

Thanks.
Ok, but fx7 (or fx1000) with housing is out of range for me concerning price... :-(
The manufacturers make more profit on the materials for fx7 than others and it is insane...
So you think XR-520 will not suit to make video in same conditions of vx2100?

[edit]Note that in some conditions the noise is so uge in low light with vx2100 that the video can not be exploited...

The Canon HFS-10/11 is supposed to be good in low light. I've not used one.

Ok let me add some clarification to this. First off, None of the small HD cameras are going to compare to the low light ability of your 2100.

The XR520 and canon HF S10/S11 are OK in low light, but not great. Both cameras really benefit from using artificial lights. The Xr 520 is really just a hair better than the HF S cameras, but the Canon HF S cameras have much better color saturation and make for a better underwater camera.

That being said, for what you are looking to get, the Canon HF S10/11 is my recommendation. Here is a link to my page that has a sample video I shot with the HF S11 in a Gates Housing.

ok, thanks. Nice videos. It seems that light sensibility is far from bad on these videos. But perhap's not really depth? I evaluate 15-20 meters depth?
Here his a cut of the next movie I'm currently producing : http://www.sous-la-mer.com/temp/maldives.avi
It is ok for the light, but the HD is really a must. I'm going to South Africa in april and I'd like to change to HD before... The FX7 housing is too expensive for me... And I absolutely want monitor (I have this gears actually : http://annonces.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewAd&adTokenId=5004068536 ). So I'm managing to have something the less bad as I can to replace it with HD...

Back
Top Bottom