Change from Sony VX2100 to ?? XR520?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recif, you have a difficult wish list. Match the VX2100 in low light, HD resolution, HD monitor housing and cheaper than the FX7. This is not going to happen with the current camcorders.

The VX2100 has awesome low light capabilities like you mentioned. Wedding videographer's loved it because of that. When HD camcorders came out the wedding guys kept waiting and waiting for the HD equivalent that met the low light of the VX2100. That didn't happen until the Sony EX1 and it came with a huge price increase. If the FX7 his too expensive for you, you can forget about finding a camcorder to match the low light of the VX2100.

Speaking about expense, what is your budget ? It would probably be easier for people to make recommendations if they knew what your money limit is.

In fact the XR-520 with housing + monitor can be found at less than 3000 euros (http://www.aditech-uw.com/product_info.php?products_id=871)
The FX7 is not too expensive for me, this is the housing for that is! Much more than other camcorders housing (for same building!)... I think manufacturers think if you use FX7, you work with, so you make money then you can buy it!
The budget is 4000/5000 euros ( 5000 / 7000 USD)...

That's going to depend on what housing you get. The camera is $1920 from B&H Photo - they ship internationally as I'm assuming you're not in the U.S. Sony | HDR-FX7 3CMOS HDV 1080i Camcorder | HDRFX7 | B&H Photo

Equinox sells their HD8 housing for $1500. HD8 High Definition Underwater Video Housing - Equinox Underwater Video Housings by SoupCan Inc.

If it's more convenient, buy both from Equinox: HD8 Housing & Camera Packages - Equinox Underwater Video Housings by SoupCan Inc. It looks like it might be slightly higher if you need PAL.

Add their 3.5" monitor for $369. Their rep did post recently that they're going to be selling an HD monitor soon.

You'd still have just about $1200 for lights to keep it at $5K.

Last edited:
Or the FX7 in a Gates Housing for just under $7000 U.S. with a standard port, microphone and moisture alarm. I priced it out at $4817 on H2ophotopros website. It only gets pricey when you add the wide angle glass. I don't know what to do about a monitor though, the EM43 is $2325 more.

Add the camera for $1920 - tax and shipping might put you slightly over.

Last edited:
Recif, the sample video I shot with the HF S11 was in 30-60 feet. You can see in the video, some is lit, some of it is not...but overall, to take advantage of the excellent color of the Canon, lights are a must.

As for the Gates FX7 housing, please note the Superwide ports are no longer available new...but as Steve said, that is the very costly part anyway.

Yes, the equinox system is cheap (but what about the quality? I tried Ikelite several years ago and it was really a pity! :-( ). I don't need lighting system, do not film with light. For the wide angle, I need a 80° minimum (sorry... :) ) and the lcd monitor is, as I have understood, not waterproof (for the surface only)...
for the gates system it's too expensive, if I take monitor + wide angle and housing, the price is getting very high... :-(

Recif, the sample video I shot with the HF S11 was in 30-60 feet. You can see in the video, some is lit, some of it is not...but overall, to take advantage of the excellent color of the Canon, lights are a must.

As for the Gates FX7 housing, please note the Superwide ports are no longer available new...but as Steve said, that is the very costly part anyway.

what is "Superwide ports"?

Yes, the equinox system is cheap (but what about the quality?
I have no idea...
and the lcd monitor is, as I have understood, not waterproof (for the surface only)...
?...it goes inside the housing

It sounds like it doesn't seem possible to meet your wish list on your budget...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom