Change from Sony VX2100 to ?? XR520?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raynox: it is the cheap version not fully zoomable, mmhh, maybe not the right one

16x9 0:7 not enough wideangle
16x9 0,45 very strong disortion, I guess also not zoomable because it is a "simple" lens

So, I assume that you need a flat lens because you want to buy Aditech and the flat port doesn't offer enough space for the bigger lenses?

Interesting: you care about very good low light but not about the optics. This somehow doesn't fit together. If you buy Aditech I would strongly recommend the Fathom. There is nothing better. You will like it. Think about it. The lens is on the market for a couple years now. Maybe you will find it used? Or negotiate with Aditech.

Raynox: it is the cheap version not fully zoomable, mmhh, maybe not the right one

16x9 0:7 not enough wideangle
16x9 0,45 very strong disortion, I guess also not zoomable because it is a "simple" lens

So, I assume that you need a flat lens because you want to buy Aditech and the flat port doesn't offer enough space for the bigger lenses?
I don't know for the moment the space there is in the flat port. Do you have a link to the lens you advice? Thanks.

Interesting: you care about very good low light but not about the optics. This somehow doesn't fit together. If you buy Aditech I would strongly recommend the Fathom. There is nothing better. You will like it. Think about it. The lens is on the market for a couple years now. Maybe you will find it used? Or negotiate with Aditech.
I never said I don't care about the optics! I care! I juste don't know which one to take. The problem is that on the housing you have only 2 choices : the fathom port and the flat port. As I don't want the phatom one (can't receive red filter), I only have choice to put a lens in the flat port. And I can use it outside water too...

Other question about wide angle : I need 80° wide angle minimum, and on the description of wide angles on the net I always see 0.7x or 0.8x : how can I convert that information into angle? 0.8x = 80° ?
thanks

This is going to get confusing. Especially when you add underwater.

.7x and .8x is a factor to be multiplied to the lens focal length. Camera focal length numbers are NOT equal to the angle coverage, but the coverage angle can be calculated.

A few typical camera lens focal lengths are 50mm, 28mm, 20mm.

% angle coverage for the above:
50mm lens, approx. 47 degrees of coverage
28mm lens, approx. 75 degrees of coverage
20mm lens, approx. 94 degrees of coverage

A .7x lens adapter will change the lens focal length
50mm lens with .7x will become 35mm
28mm with .7x becomes 20m

The Sony FX7 lens is equivalent to 37mm focal length or approx. 60 deg coverage. Put a .7x adapter on the FX7, you get 26mm or approx. 80 deg coverage.

Are you still with me ?

You know things underwater look bigger through your mask right ? Same thing happens to your camera if you use a flat port. 80 deg coverage topside will become approx. 60 degrees coverage underwater with a flat port. If you want to maintain the topside angle you need a dome port. If you are stuck with a flat port, you will need much more than .7x.

To make things more complicated, it is not easy to make a wide angle adapter with low distortion. Add in maintaining the low distortion with zoom through is even more challenging.

If you understand all this techno stuff, then you might understand why Fathom lenses cost so much. The Fathoms FX7 lens gives you 120 degree coverage underwater, very low distortion, fully zoom through maintaining the low distortion, sealed for underwater use attaching directly to the housing.

Thanks for these explanations. Yes, I understand... The problem is that with dome ports you can't put red filter... So how can I manage that?... The manufacturer says I must use the outdoor mode of WB, but it means we can't setup the WB anymore then... And so the picture color adjustment is very bad...?

So any advice for reference of a "dry" wide angle to be 80° in water (0.5x?) and zoom possible (not 100% is ok, I never zoom more than 60/70%)

Red filter inside the housing for a dome port. Either attached to camcorder or with a flip lever on the housing.

Manual WB is a key part of getting good color with underwater video. What WB did you do with your VX2100 underwater ?

Getting 80 degree coverage with a FX7 underwater using a flat port is going to take a .3x adapter. I doubt you will find a .3x adapter with low distortion. At that power you are basically talking a fisheye adapter. I also doubt you will have room for it with the flat port.

Nothing personal, but I think you are going about this all wrong. Your list of needs keeps growing. Low light, HD, monitor, high quality 80 deg + coverage, zoom through, white balance. Price can only go up when you add more requirements.

Didn't Mobula say he might sell his FX7 system with a 90 degree lens ?

Hi Ron,

Red filter inside the housing for a dome port. Either attached to camcorder or with a flip lever on the housing.
Yes, but Aditech doesn't allow it. There is nothing inside... I can't put any red filter. And the its answer is to put in outdoor mode with WB...

Manual WB is a key part of getting good color with underwater video. What WB did you do with your VX2100 underwater ?
I use it manual and setup it with white pannel each time before recording. It works fine.

Getting 80 degree coverage with a FX7 underwater using a flat port is going to take a .3x adapter. I doubt you will find a .3x adapter with low distortion. At that power you are basically talking a fisheye adapter. I also doubt you will have room for it with the flat port.
Nothing personal, but I think you are going about this all wrong. Your list of needs keeps growing. Low light, HD, monitor, high quality 80 deg + coverage, zoom through, white balance. Price can only go up when you add more requirements.
Yes, I see that I will not be satisfied with this housing... Thanks a lot for your advices!
Didn't Mobula say he might sell his FX7 system with a 90 degree lens ?
Yes, I think I'll perhaps see in détails this offer...

Hi Ron,
thanks to the explanation with wideangle :) I bought a Fathom for my EX1.....I am impressed, wow.

Best regards
Uli

Back
Top Bottom