• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Change in buoyancy from 12l to 15l cylinder

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by BlueTrin, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Less lead, and since they're a little bit smaller they're a little bit easier to stow when I load up my boat with gear.

Mike1967 likes this.
  2. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Did you try them in doubles?

3. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

I’m talking about steel 15l. It’s fine to dive with but imo it’s not optimal as far as stability goes.

4. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    This is total camel dung.

Mike1967 likes this.
  5. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    As I mentioned in a previous post, the conversions I found for L to Cubic ft. was off. I use what I think would be a 17L for you, at least according to the table I posted. The biggest difference with the 17L is that it is longer than the 15L. This may account for why I have no problem with stability or comfort. The 17L is a bit larger around and a bit longer then an aluminum tank but then I am proportionally a bit larger around and a bit longer than the average diver.

6. Storker

Storker Divemaster

No, I prefer singles. A 10x300 (or a 12x232, or a 15x200) is enough gas for me for one dive. Swapping a single tank is easier than faffing with fills between dives, and a single 10 is noticeably lighter than twin 10s.

200, 232 or 300 bar? As I tried to allude to in a previous post, there's quite a bit of a difference between those. "15L" alone doesn't make much sense, you have to include the pressure rating. Mass (weight), balance and buoyancy is rather different between those.

Apart from that, I agree with others in this thread that your blanket statements would be better suited as manure than as information.

7. Storker

Storker Divemaster

:shocked:

That sounds... excessive. What's the capacity and pressure rating (imperial units are fine, I can do the math)? Over here, if you need more gas than can comfortably be carried in a 15x232 or a 12x300 you'd rather carry a small rec twinset like a D8.5x232 or a D7x300.

8. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

Again, for the average diver maybe. I’m a large guy. I have an XXL wetsuit, XXL bcd, why not an XXL tank? Plus my wife and I start and finish with the same tank pressure. Then there is cost and simplicity as mentioned.

Bagoose and Fibonacci like this.
  9. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

Out of curiosity how tall and how much do you weight ? :)

10. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

I already posted 1.96m, 118kg. That coupled with being a newish diver (under 100 dive) I use a lot of air. I probably could make do with a 15L but I have heard they are uncomfortable and unstable. :wink:

BlueTrin likes this.