• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Change in buoyancy from 12l to 15l cylinder

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by BlueTrin, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Takes a lot of steel. My 15x300 was more than 24kg. No fun.

Now, 10 and - perhaps - 12L 300 bar is rather nice, if you're willing to live with the disadvantages. There are a few, but for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

BlueTrin likes this.
  2. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I really don't know what I am talking about. Seems each side of the pond have their own terminology for tanks and they don't always accurately reflect the actually sizes enough to simply use conversions. lol
    That being said, a lot of the guys around here use either the FX100DVB or the FX120DVB. The FX100 is the same dimensions as an aluminum tank. The FX120 is quite a bit longer. In fact it is even longer than my 133's. I like my 133's because they are not really that much bigger, 2 inches longer and 3/4 inch greater diameter. They may weigh 10 lbs more but I lost 7 lbs of lead switching.

BlueTrin likes this.
  3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

That’s really interesting: when you say they weight 10lbs more is that when they are full ?

4. Storker

Storker Divemaster

The physics is the same, no matter which side of the pond you hail from

5. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    That would actually be empty. The 133 holds about 4 lbs more air so still no that much heavier.

BlueTrin likes this.
  6. 60plus

60plus Barracuda

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I dive both 12 and 15L tanks with the same weight. Once in the water its hard to tell the difference.

7. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

232 bar.

8. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

Why? It IS not an optimal single tank to dive if you’re in normal or average height parameters. I never said it’s un-diveable. 12 L 232 bar is generally much more comfortable for most people.

Honestly, I think Scubaboard is a toxic community sometimes. I don’t really care, but why am I being told all my comments are camel dung? I forgot to say 232 bar because that’s the most common pressure where I am.

9. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I wouldn't have used the phrase "camel dung" but your comments are often sweeping statements, based solely on your experience and training and dive location.

It's a big world out there. Off the top of my head I could give 5 reasons why BM doubles aren't ideal where I dive, and 12L x 232 Steels wouldn't be the best for me. But reasons I would chose a certain config or indeed dismiss a config don't necessarily apply to others. There is no way @Storker kit config would be suitable where I dive, and my setup would be wholly unacceptable for him.

So you could help yourself if your replies were more considered and you accepted that often there are other ways to skin a cat and to settle on a certain configuration one needs to weigh up all the pro's and cons that are applicable to them and their conditions. If you feel you're point of view has legs, then discuss it in a reasoned fashion rather than than throwing unsubstantiated one liners out there which make you look like a troll.

wKkaY and ljpm like this.
  10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

It’s because you word your replies like if they were absolute truth: they may or may not be but this will usually not being the best of the person you talk to :)

wKkaY and ljpm like this.