Change in the Cozumel Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the shuttles really bad enough to justify the drag or is it a cost thing?

Not to me, I'm on vacation in a cheap country so whether it costs $20 for a shuttle or $10 for a cab, I'm not concerned. Not a big deal either but dragging dive gear out of the airport and down the block is a PITA IMO.

With the shuttles it may be bad. or good. If you are going a long way south it may be cheaper but you will probably have to wait, then sit in a stuffy van while they unload at other hotels along the way (my last time in one a fellow passengers threw up!). If your ride is short/in town the taxis are cheaper and faster with a little walk to the traffic circle.

As stated I think the Federal police got involved because that side of the road is still probably Federal territory and only vehicles with Federal Plates may pick up there. ON the other hand any vehicle can drop off people at the Federal airports. (That is why a taxi from the Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen is $100—but from PDC to Cancun can be had for $40.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Not to me, I'm on vacation in a cheap country so whether it costs $20 for a shuttle or $10 for a cab, I'm not concerned. Not a big deal either but dragging dive gear out of the airport and down the block is a PITA IMO.

Exactly. I can't even imagine someone going to all the trouble to drag their luggage out of the airport and across or down the street to save a few bucks. Take the van and then the rest of the time you can catch a cab wherever you want to go including back to the airport.

I don't think the airport bus/taxis are a big deal either. Done the bag drag a few times but now I buy an extra beer for the ride and pay the extra $5-$10, no hurries or hassles.

@Dave Dillehay We are Staying at Aldora what would you recommend for a group of 3 drag down the street and call a cab or just pay for the shuttle?

... just use the shuttle.

@Dave Dillehay We are Staying at Aldora what would you recommend for a group of 3 drag down the street and call a cab or just pay for the shuttle?

Dear Warren Z,

It all depends on how much gear you have (and this is true for all travelers). One roller bag each and crossing the traffic circle street will get you to the Villa Aldora much faster and cheaper than if you wait on the vans. But if you have a crap load of stuff to haul, do like others said, get a beer and relax.

Dave Dillehay

Good information in this thread--thanks, Dave. Arriving in CZM on our upcoming trip will be a new thing for my wife and me, as on past trips we have done the CUN-PDC bag drag to save on airfare. (This time we're using airmiles.) We have dragged our roller bags all over Indonesia, and it sounds like a walk across a traffic circle will be nothing to us. Ten bucks saved is ten bucks saved.

Are the shuttles really bad enough to justify the drag or is it a cost thing?
IMO not at all, but of course "traveling light" is not in my vocabulary. :D

I sneaked down to surprise my wife after a trial go cancelled. I was in a hurry and travelling light. I heel-and-toed out to the Airport Road. Taxis guy gave me the wink pull off a hundred feet down. He rushed me into the car before the cops says. Minutes later I was hiding behind a menu at the money bar as she and the crew walked in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom