Change in the Cozumel Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you travel light. That sounds like me, except I have a house with all my diving equipment and clothes there.

At 66 years I took a baby step OUT of retirement and got a job at the airport loading bags for Delta. Three mornings a week earns me $8.35 an hour and all the standby I can handle. Carry-on gives me more flexibility for connections. This will be my first arrival at Cozumel airport in 15 years. Flights to Cancun from Boise are $200. cheaper on average, but now I don't have to worry about it. I am looking forward to not taking the bus and the ferry and blowing half a day.
Even though it's been fifteen years, I still vividly remember the chaos on exiting the arrival terminal at CZM!

At 66 years I took a baby step OUT of retirement and got a job at the airport loading bags for Delta. Three mornings a week earns me $8.35 an hour and all the standby I can handle. Carry-on gives me more flexibility for connections. This will be my first arrival at Cozumel airport in 15 years. Flights to Cancun from Boise are $200. cheaper on average, but now I don't have to worry about it. I am looking forward to not taking the bus and the ferry and blowing half a day.
Even though it's been fifteen years, I still vividly remember the chaos on exiting the arrival terminal at CZM!
sweet!

Are the shuttles really bad enough to justify the drag or is it a cost thing?

There is really not a big cost difference for singles, at least for most places (not sure how the shuttle compares to the taxi for southern resorts, since I never stay down there). Last time I was in Coz, the shuttle to Casa Del Mar was $96 (that's Pesos, NOT Dollars), pretty close to what a taxi would cost. Of course, with a taxi, the price is the same, one passenger or four. So if you come with a wife or family, the shuttle, for which you pay for a ticket for each person, will be more expensive. But way back in the distant past, before the Airport Shuttles got their monopoly, you could just flag a taxi, hop in, and head directly to where you were going, OR ask the taxi to wait at a store (this was before the Mega or even the Chedraui, even existed) to grab a 12-pack of Dos Equis or Corona or Modelo (whichever you like) and snacks to take to your hotel. Now, you have to stop, buy a Shuttle ticket, get in a shuttle and wait for it to fill up - maybe 5 minutes, maybe 20, then ride along while it makes several stops to let off other passengers , and hope that your luggage is all there when you finally get to your hotel (most times it will be, but there have been cases where a bag is dropped off before the owner of that bag reaches his or her destination). So it's as much a matter of convenience as it is cost.

I'm thinking that I will put it to a view but I'm thinking a quick walk to stretch the legs and grab a cab will be my vote. If there isn't a cab is there a cab dispatch number we can call or text to get a cab to swing by or pick us up elsewhere in town?

There is really not a big cost difference for singles, at least for most places (not sure how the shuttle compares to the taxi for southern resorts, since I never stay down there). Last time I was in Coz, the shuttle to Casa Del Mar was $96 (that's Pesos, NOT Dollars), pretty close to what a taxi would cost.
Nope, not even close. Shuttle vs Taxi to...
Downtown: $57 vs $85 in Pesos = 49% more, but in USD only $1.49 more
South zone including Casa del Mar: $96 vs $170 in Pesos = 77% more, $3.94 USD more
Iberostar: $141 vs $335 in Pesos = 138% more, $10.34 USD more
Assuming you pay in Pesos that you acquired at a good rate

hope that your luggage is all there when you finally get to your hotel (most times it will be, but there have been cases where a bag is dropped off before the owner of that bag reaches his or her destination).
That's why I get out and watch at every stop.

I'm thinking that I will put it to a view but I'm thinking a quick walk to stretch the legs and grab a cab will be my vote. If there isn't a cab is there a cab dispatch number we can call or text to get a cab to swing by or pick us up elsewhere in town?
How good is your Spanish? Cozumel Taxi: 872-0236.

Last edited:
I think the shuttle is probably the best, easiest deal most of the time. Esp if you are going far. First time we tried it, we weren't good at it. We walked off and the first thing to stop was an airport van. We made a terrible deal, paid to much and road with him in a private shuttle..... :eek:

Even 100 yards down the walk you would still be standing next to the Airport fence, thus authority of the Federal Police. But I have no idea how they define the line1

Dave Dillehay

So--looking at the Google map--would it increase one's odds of success to walk straight across the traffic circle, down 8 de Octubre, rather than turning right at the traffic circle and following along the airport property? Or are there not many taxis cruising in that part of town?

Walking past the circle and then phoning for a taxi, as someone mentioned, seems like it would defeat the whole idea that a taxi is quicker than a shuttle.

So--looking at the Google map--would it increase one's odds of success to walk straight across the traffic circle, down 8 de Octubre, rather than turning right at the traffic circle and following along the airport property? Or are there not many taxis cruising in that part of town?
That is the route I would take. (I still refer to 8 de Octubre as 65th Ave.). There are lots of businesses along there, unlike the airport road. So if you get bored, tired, or can't get a cab, you could go shopping.

Are the shuttles really bad enough to justify the drag or is it a cost thing?
With an approx 11am arrival sometimes it's a timing issue to get checked in, reset dive bag, and get to the dock for the afternoon boat. Some shuttles take a very long time at each stop before they get to your hotel. Cost isn't the issue always if you want to dive the same landing day.

With an approx 11am arrival sometimes it's a timing issue to get checked in, reset dive bag, and get to the dock for the afternoon boat. Some shuttles take a very long time at each stop before they get to your hotel. Cost isn't the issue always if you want to dive the same landing day.
DSFDF, but that sort of hurrying around is one thing I go to Cozumel to get away from.

Back
Top Bottom