CHDK for G15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y

For RAW files every program is now able to import canon RAW directly and even have a good preprocessing including canon own photo professional. What is the benefit of DNG?

PSE10 does not read canon raw but it does read dng. That ia why they have a free dng converter.

Canon photo professional does a good job adjusting sharpness and white balance on RAW files. I hardly ever use PS/PSE anymore unless it's to remove backscatter.

Hetland: I haven't used or even installed canon software that came with the g15. Can I just install photo pro or do I need to have all the other canon software installed as well. It might be interesting to check it out on my home notebook. The notebook I take on trips has an old version of PSE just for quick editing (cropping, adding copyright, and reducing size) for posting to FB if I'm at a place with wi-fi.

I just have photo stitch and DPP installed, but I think it gave me the choice to install each component by itself.

I was initially skeptical when I first tried it, but now I use it for most post processing tasks. In addition to white balance correction, you can adjust sharpness, contrast, and lighting levels. You can adjust overall brightness levels, or just the levels in the highlights or shadows independently. You'll get too much noise if you push it too far, but if you have a hotspot, or shadow that needs darkening, it works reasonably well. I also like the batch processor. You can make your adjustments, and then convert everything into jpg choosing image quality, dpi, even re-size, all in one batch, which saves time if you want to post resized pics to the web.

PSE10 does not read canon raw but it does read dng. That ia why they have a free dng converter.
I import all photos into LightRoom 3 for 99% of my editing. LR will not import CS2 raw files without conversion into DNG format first. An Adobe RAW to DNG converter is a free download, but conversion speed is not as fast as the in camera method used by CHDK and, obviously, is an extra step in the image flow.

And, as I said, I never had CHDK work to write files directly writeable with my G7, so I wouldnt bet money on that solution anyways..
Also keep in mind that CR2 is not "just CR2", theres different versions of the CR2 format depending on camera model (as far as Ive been able to find out, mainly value ranges are different, but thats enough for the formats not to be the same from camera to camera)

The G7 didn't have raw so the program are not expecting to decode it so you had to go through DNG

All newer cameras that have raw do not require CHDK for this purpose and will work with any new editing program just fine
There is no reason to install CHDK just to get raw

The G7 didn't have raw so the program are not expecting to decode it so you had to go through DNG

All newer cameras that have raw do not require CHDK for this purpose and will work with any new editing program just fine
There is no reason to install CHDK just to get raw
CHDK raw files could have been made readable from the camera, rather than having to go through converter, just like he request from the G15 (in effect an in-cam converter)

And no, not all RAW files will read just fine in a random even new editing program, because the files are not recognized. CR2 files from a G15 and CR2 files from a 650D(Rebel T4i) are not the same files - they have the same structure, but the value ranges are different and as such you need to have an "interpreter" for each of them..

CHDK raw files could have been made readable from the camera, rather than having to go through converter, just like he request from the G15 (in effect an in-cam converter)

And no, not all RAW files will read just fine in a random even new editing program, because the files are not recognized. CR2 files from a G15 and CR2 files from a 650D(Rebel T4i) are not the same files - they have the same structure, but the value ranges are different and as such you need to have an "interpreter" for each of them..

Yes but usually every program has a delta release when new cameras come in. Example lightroom that I have comes every month with a new decoder for a bunch of cameras with new ones added

Obviously if you have an old program that may never be supported but that is another story

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom