CHDK is not an option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do I tell CHDK to "disable overrides"? Thanks for posting this info.
IMG_0326.jpg The upper arrow points to the setting that disables overrides, the lower points to the setting that preserves your choices between sessions.

Bullshark, the most important feature I want to use is to be able to use sTTL in manual mode. What settings do I need to adjust to do this? Thanks

Bullshark, the most important feature I want to use is to be able to use sTTL in manual mode. What settings do I need to adjust to do this? Thanks

No can do. Canon firmware is brain-dead in this regard. However the whole point of my article was to teach a workaround using CHKD that allows you to accomplish/replicate that capability. The only cost is choosing which manual variable (shutter speed or aperture) that you want to vary.

The only thing you can do in manual mode is change shutter or aperture. Using CHDK as outlined you can do either one, just not both at once. In actual shooting you almost never need to. Once you have a grip on the effects you know which one is important to your composition.

For my personal tastes and shooting style, setting shutter speed at 1/200 or 1/250 and using AV program gets what I want (creatively speaking) almost all the time. Slow shutters aren't useful to me: I don't like blurry antennae or fins. I don't like missing featherdusters or xmastree worms. Even when shooting Wide Angle, no on likes blurred anthias or damsels. Don't forget you can spin the EV dial to affect the TTL exposure too.

Got it, thanks. I have it installed on my SD card and have used it above water. Hope to try it underwater soon.

Bullshark or anyone using CHDK with an S95 and used a Mac to install on their SD card, Help!

I had CHDK on my SD and it worked great, then I inadvertently formatted the card and of course its gone. Now I have been using SDM CHDK Installer but every time I go thorough the install procedure my S95 will not boot the CHDK and it does not recognize the larger of the two partitions where photos should be stored. What am I doing wrong?

I figured it out. The SD card needs to be locked. I slid the locking tap to "locked" and it boots right up.

Although there is a script to enable TTL in manual on the S95 it does not really work as you don't have bracketing and for some reason shutter speed get overridden by the camera itself

To have something comparable you need to set up an override in Tv or Av modes

I have done some tests and it works, together with user menu the set up is really easy to use

When using manual mode, I'm having trouble getting low enough exposure for taking macro photos of white objects. My setup is Canon G12 + Inon D-2000. I tried manual mode with F/8, 1/250, ISO 80, strobe at minimum power and EV compensation (?) at -2. Still the white parts get overexposed.

On the exposure compensation chart, there is an orange marker at the bottom and, when pressing the shutter halfway, an orange "-2" appears. Does this mean, that the camera is somehow compensating for the exposure by itself or am I doing something wrong?

If this indeed is the case, would CHDK help?

-2 means the picture is underexposed according to the sensor
I would make sure our metering is set to spot and put the internal flash to the minimum too
Move the strobe further away if at minimum setting is still overexposed
Do you have a plastic housing?

When using manual mode, I'm having trouble getting low enough exposure for taking macro photos of white objects. My setup is Canon G12 + Inon D-2000. I tried manual mode with F/8, 1/250, ISO 80, strobe at minimum power and EV compensation (?) at -2. Still the white parts get overexposed.

On the exposure compensation chart, there is an orange marker at the bottom and, when pressing the shutter halfway, an orange "-2" appears. Does this mean, that the camera is somehow compensating for the exposure by itself or am I doing something wrong?

If this indeed is the case, would CHDK help?

Yes, metering is set to 'spot' and internal flash is at minimum (doesn't really make a difference, since it's blocked, does it)?

I can't move the strobe too much farther, since I was already really close (taking test photos with stacked Dyron macro diopters).

And yes, the housing is Canon WP-DC34..

-2 means the picture is underexposed according to the sensor
I would make sure our metering is set to spot and put the internal flash to the minimum too
Move the strobe further away if at minimum setting is still overexposed
Do you have a plastic housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom