Cheap and Easy Knife Tether

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this senerio, your buddy was an idiot and wandered off.

agreed, but personally, I tether just about everything. It was the way I was trained.

Yep. If it can come off, it will come off.

And where in this scenario is your buddy?

Doesn't matter where my buddy is. My dive plan includes self-reliance and self-sufficiency first and foremost. A good diver begins with being a self-reliant diver.

I found some similar lightweight coils at my hardware store and used them to attach my slate and backup/focus light to the clip on the inside of my BC vest pocket (same pocket they're stored in). I removed the original split rings and replaced them with stainless split rings I got in the fishing-lure section. They've been working well for over two years now - perfect for little things where the large coils commonly sold in scuba shops are just overkill.

I do not use one on either my dive knife or Z-knife, however, nor my shears. I would definitely think twice about using them on cutting tools, anything you might need to use while entangled.

Last edited:
I carry three cutting tools while technical or cave diving however I do believe the spiral type teather to be the worst. It's design has the highest potential for entanglement, especially if your entangled already.

I carry a squeeze lock attached to my inflater hose and have never had a problem, my backup is in my right hand thigh pocket, on a small bungee teather clipped on with a bolt snap. My medical shears sit in my left thigh pocket clipped on as well.

I think your reasoning is justified (don't want to loose it) but that style of teather might give you move grief then good in an emergency.. Just my opinion but think you should stay away from this spiral stuff.

Oh, that would be why the picture isn't showing. Here I was just about to make a smart @$$ comment about forgetting to post the image... :) I like the idea about the bungie loop on the handle though as mentioned by "jbb". Thanks.

Yes I use shears and another knife....but I just hate shopping for a new knife to replace lost one (not entirely accurate - what I hate is paying for a new knife).

Same idea...different application: Image for Trident Sea Springs Coil Lanyard/Shock Line 7 feet

I use the shortest one they make to clip to my d ring next to where my BCD knife mounts. It will stretch as far as I can reach from where it attaches on my BCD. I can unclip it from the ring and pass it to someone else. If I'm in a real big hurry, I can use the knife to cut the lanyard.

It's saved my knife twice - once coming our of heavy surf and once swimming through some rocks in a tight space.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom