Cheap and Nasty Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Camerone:
I should've used a little fine sand or grit, though, for traction.

I wonder if you could sprinkle table salt on the wet Plastidip to give it a rough surface. Rather than using sand that would stay imbedded in the Plastidip, the salt crystals would dissolve away the first time you wore them in the water, leaving a rough surface behind.

It's early and I'm just brain storming.......

WD

Sorry for being away for a while but I like some of the ideas of using the rubber tube instead of electrical tpe. Took a look at some of the dry gloves in the store and there is no way they are a cheap replacement. Diving the great lakes etc they usually only stock gear for 70 and less water temp. The dry gloves I looked at were linned and integral with the cuff. A pair of these babies was over $80. plus the 150 addition to a suit you just shelled out 1100 for and then add in the undergarments 300, fins don't fit add 110 and then the hood for 50. Scrap that.

Just finished off a set of three custom dive reels-all aluminum and Stainless with nylon bushings anf 250 feet of line. I'll make a new post when I can get Pics

willydiver:
I wonder if you could sprinkle table salt on the wet Plastidip to give it a rough surface. Rather than using sand that would stay imbedded in the Plastidip, the salt crystals would dissolve away the first time you wore them in the water, leaving a rough surface behind.

It's early and I'm just brain storming.......

WD
Well now that's a fine idea. Go ahead and make the ocean saltier than it is. Geeeeze hehehe

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Well now that's a fine idea. Go ahead and make the ocean saltier than it is. Geeeeze hehehe

Gary D.

My apologies. Scratch the salt idea. If everybody did it, the salt content of the ocean would rise and we'd have to use more lead! Hahaha.....

WD

I have a hand thats a hard fit,so I make my own
-pair of dry suit seals=my wrist size,Chemical gloves, that will take a liner,shove a bottle in them,smear some aqua seal around the inside and out side
remove the soda bottle,-wam! no rings,no extra junk,and my gloves cost 1/10th of pre made,and they fit!
and the seal of the glove fits over my drysuit wrist seal so extra protection,they dont leak.
brad

moneysavr:
that will take a liner,shove a bottle in them,smear some aqua seal around the inside and out side
remove the soda bottle,-wam! no rings,no extra junk,and my gloves cost 1/10th of pre made,and they fit!
and the seal of the glove fits over my drysuit wrist seal so extra protection,they dont leak.
brad
I was with you up to here but then I got lost. Would you explain a bit more for me please?

Joe

Sideband:
I was with you up to here but then I got lost. Would you explain a bit more for me please?

Joe

Joe,
You have seen dry suits ,and dry suit wrist seals?I buy a pair on line or at my repair dealer,then get some chemical gloves that will take a thin liner for more warmth,but then slide a item in glove=round to firm it up,aqua seal it,after you slide wrist seal over end of glove,like a 1/2 "> lift wrist seal off glove and glue it all the way around,on the in side,do the same on the outside after it dries.not too much or you may glue it to the bottle,I DID IT!
cheap dry gloves,
Brad

moneysavr:
Joe,
You have seen dry suits ,and dry suit wrist seals?I buy a pair on line or at my repair dealer,then get some chemical gloves that will take a thin liner for more warmth,but then slide a item in glove=round to firm it up,aqua seal it,after you slide wrist seal over end of glove,like a 1/2 "> lift wrist seal off glove and glue it all the way around,on the in side,do the same on the outside after it dries.not too much or you may glue it to the bottle,I DID IT!
cheap dry gloves,
Brad

Are you able to put them on and get a good seal by yourself, or does it require a little help from your buddy?

ClevelandDiver:
Are you able to put them on and get a good seal by yourself, or does it require a little help from your buddy?

I had some one help tuck the inside liner in at first ,and pull it up over my dry suit seal,but if my hands are not froze I can do it by myself,and no leaks yet!
brad

I made my own dry gloves using a pair of Showa fishing gloves from SeaMar and a pair of latex wrist seals. I simply glued the wrist seal to the glove and viola Homemade nordic blues. I had trouble putting the glove on solo, so I cut two 2 inch rings out of 4" PVC and roll the glove seal over the ring. This way the seal is pre stretched and I have "Self Donning" gloves. I simply unroll the part of the seal that is over the ring and the ring slides off the glove. The beauty of this system is that I now have a dual seal over the wrist. I don't bother to use tubes to equalize the gloves, I just put the liners on before donning the suit and enough air flows to the gloves to prevent any squeeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom