Question Dry Gloves Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had several drysuit floods in water slightly colder than that. With a proper wicking undergarment, it was more of an inconvenience than anything else.
Like flood all the way? Technical deco dive? That's interesting..

I've had leaks, come up wet, but I've never "felt" wet while diving. It's not until I get the suit off... but that's nothing compared to a severed glove or catastrophic failure in the suit.

I mean.. no matter what even if someone has wrist seals on a prolonged deco dive and rip their suit they're in the same situation.

I've had a couple of floods where my drysuit legs were full of water. Others when just a sleeve and chest were soaked. Once was a wreck dive when I sliced a glove on a rusty bolt. The others were leaking suit or dump valve. My last leak was off northern Vancouver Island in 46° water. I remained underwater for an hour after the leak began. My Weezle undergarment kept me warm enough, but I skipped the next dive.

I'm a newbie at dry suit diving but isn't the least expensive solution to just use seal on seal dry gloves? I had those last week when I did my dry suit course and they were great. The only downside is you ideally need someone to help you put them on to make sure they sit right.

I'm a newbie at dry suit diving but isn't the least expensive solution to just use seal on seal dry gloves? I had those last week when I did my dry suit course and they were great. The only downside is you ideally need someone to help you put them on to make sure they sit right.
The cheapest is cold hands with no gloves and you go up from there.

• Funny
Reactions: Zef
The sitec QCS ring which is integral to the OP's D7X suit is not stiff enough to pull latex gloves over the top of them.
I would guess you are incorrect. You can stretch it over a zip seal ring and it won't leak. That has almost no rigidity. As long as it is round, it will stay sealed underwater.

I would guess you are incorrect. You can stretch it over a zip seal ring and it won't leak. That has almost no rigidity. As long as it is round, it will stay sealed underwater.
I have these rings on my Fusion. They are way too floppy to stretch a latex glove over them. If you use the base of a wrist seal that has the oring like part molded in - you can insert the stiffer attachment ring and then put a latex glove over that combined ring.

But Sitec never made these rings to work that way and they make two different types of dry gloves to attach to them, so why not just use what they were designed for.

I have these rings on my Fusion. They are way too floppy to stretch a latex glove over them. If you use the base of a wrist seal that has the oring like part molded in - you can insert the stiffer attachment ring and then put a latex glove over that combined ring.

But Sitec never made these rings to work that way and they make two different types of dry gloves to attach to them, so why not just use what they were designed for.
I hear that constantly about zip cuffs. But they work. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

This is the way to go with zip seals.
You can stretch it over a zip seal ring and it won't leak. That has almost no rigidity. As long as it is round, it will stay sealed underwater.

Use the marigold g-17k gloves for $5 a pair and they don’t leak when pulled over the normal zip wrist seals. Several friends used the zip gloves and once they tried the marigolds, they never looked back. If the glove is compromised (they are thin), a hand will get cold, but not critically so, and you still have the wrist seal intact.

I dive with the seals cut back, but I don't do technical dives yet. I think when I do I'll probably throw new seals back in. I understand the concept that they can leak or rip... scary thought if you're stuck.

But Rob, have you tried just pulling the dishwasher type gloves over the zip connection on the wrist seals? I did not believe it would work until I tried it. Giant stride entry with equalizer tubes under the wrist seals will blow them off, but otherwise, never a problem.

This is the way to go with zip seals.

Use the marigold g-17k gloves for $5 a pair and they don’t leak when pulled over the normal zip wrist seals. Several friends used the zip gloves and once they tried the marigolds, they never looked back. If the glove is compromised (they are thin), a hand will get cold, but not critically so, and you still have the wrist seal intact.

But Rob, have you tried just pulling the dishwasher type gloves over the zip connection on the wrist seals? I did not believe it would work until I tried it. Giant stride entry with equalizer tubes under the wrist seals will blow them off, but otherwise, never a problem.
I don't have zip seals. But I still don't understand why in the world anyone would want them or would want something besides what's available?

How are zip seals (or pulling gloves over seals) better in any way? Honest question?

I don't have zip seals. But I still don't understand why in the world anyone would want them or would want something besides what's available?

How are zip seals (or pulling gloves over seals) better in any way? Honest question?
Once you attach gloves, you don't have a ring system to leak or get in the way while you are getting in pockets or attaching and removing tanks. Also, in the event of a tear or leak, they are quick and easy to replace even on a rocking boat.
I don't personally like diving with the pull overs, I like attached gloves. I carry a spare set of seals when I am in warm water and a spare set of gloves when I am in cold water.

I only know it works because I have used them in a pinch. I have saved several dives for others by keeping a set on the boat. If they tear a seal or glove and don't have backups, I just pull a stretchy latex glove over everything and off they go. They work with just about any ring and drysuit on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom