Cheap Chinese canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a "normal" flashlight Archon D34
I am planning to get a canister light because soon I will use a DIR style backplate BCD together with the drysuit. Good flashlights have heavy batteries and they can be bulky, difficult to clip and to use on that sort of BCD. So a canister light would solve this issue. In case I get a canister light I would keep the Archon as a secondary flashlight

I think that who ever is filling your head with the information in your response has deceived you.

Good handheld lights for recreational diving do not have to be bulky, big, cumbersome, etc. at all. I have been diving a BP/W for a few years now, and it is much easier to clip anything on a BP harness than it is on typical jacket style BCD. A canister in and of itself is the definition of bulk, plus you will need to manage the cord, and have a bulky goodman handle to mount the head unit to...oh, and you will need to figure out how to clip and unclip that from your harness too.

As an example, the OrcaTorch D550 is great torch for recreational diving:
Manufacturer rated at 1000 lumens
Runs on a single 18650 battery
Runtime stated as over 5 hours - I have used mine for multiple dives averaging 45 to 60 minutes without the need to recharge
Rated to 150 meters
144mm long x 40mm at widest point (lens)
Weight without battery is only 183 grams
Tripe o-ring sealed
Sealed magnet tail switch operation
3 modes - high, low, strobe
Lashing point for bolt snap (very small bolt snap included in kit)
Comes with 2 18650 batteries and charger, and set of spare o-rings
Cost @ 80 Euros (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ORCATORC...keywords=orcatorch+d550&qid=1609955938&sr=8-5)

There are other torches on the market that are similarly powerful, not bulky, and not expensive.

But hey, if you want canister light, there is nothing to stop you from buying one...but for the type of diving you have indicated you do, there is no reason in my opinion to muck around with one.

-Z

Like I said I already have a handheld flashlight 2600 lumen. In the lakes here it is very dark there is no specific limit but 1000 is not enough. It must be about 2000 or more and real not just declared by the manufacturer... That is why I called these handheld flashlights 'bulky'. Even just the batteries are bulky... There are advantages and disadvantages for canister lights but many use them in the lakes . For the sea it's different

Anyway it might be canister is not a good option for me, thanks for your opinion too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom