Cheap December Airfares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

American dropped prices again. I have a freind trying to decide if he wants to go in sept. I told him he better buy- they are just messing with us now.

Glad I booked this weekend- they are up at $620 for us right now. Pretty darn happy we jumped on $452, and so glad someone posted here. (Plus I got my vacation time approved, so now I am all set! 155 days left to research restaurants and things to do in the afternoon.)

So when are ya gonna be there, Skittl1321? I'm all set for December 3-10, staying at Casa Del Mar, diving with Dive with Martin (part of a group trip; I prefer Aldora, but gotta go where the Group goes, and I do kind of like DWM, even though I can't get the Steel tanks, and am stuck with the AL 80 if I want Nitrox). Restaurants are somewhat fixed with this group - we keep going back to the old favorites - Lunch the first day we all meet up at Ernestos, Dinners at Casa Mission, Guidos, Kinta, Del Sur, Pancho's Backyard, . Though I did manage to drag them out to lunch at La Perlita for Lionfish Thursday, Pescadaria San Carlos for Saturday, and El Moro for Sunday Afternoon Cochinita Pibil, and I think those are now part of the "group tradition". Still looking for a Loncheria or two to replace the lost but lamented Sabores - may try Casa Cuzimel at the old French Quarter location, since that has some of the same people from Sabores, but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone knows a good Loncheria that serves the Comida Corida (?)

So when are ya gonna be there, Skittl1321?
We'll be there December 3-10 also. Wednesdays seem to be the only option for us if we don't want overnight flights. I always wish we could leave on a Friday so we can get two weekends in, but it never works. Last year we got in the day after the scubaboard meet-up, so maybe this year we'll be able to get to one :)

We're staying at Suites Bahia and diving 5 days with Tres Pelicanos.

We didn't stay in town last time, so the only restaurant we went to was Parilla Mission when CVChief caught some fish he needed help eating. So everything will be new for us. Money Bar is our one tradition (mmm...nachos), but since we have to take a taxi there, I think we might save it for our non-dive day and hang out there and snorkel and eat for the day (the other thought is to pretend to be cruisers and go tequila taste at Mr. Sanchos...)

La Perlita for lionfish is definetly on my list, but for my husband. Yo no como pescado! I noticed their menu is pretty much all seafood, but it looks like they have guacamole and plain quesadillas on the appetizer menu, so I should be good.
We definitely want to try Burritos Gorditos and Ernestos. But don't really have anything planned out yet.

if anyone knows a good Loncheria that serves the Comida Corida (?)

Chilangos for lunch. It is a couple blocks behind chedraui. Turn left and its a green house in the middle of the block. Its basiclally tables setup in ladys living room great cheap food.

As long as you are staying in town, you really ought to try Pescaderia San Carlos - if you go on Saturday, they have Sopa Mariscos - a Seafood soup that is very tasty, especially if you add a few drops of the habanero salsa - not too much, though! And the Grouper with Garlic Sauce is very tasty.

if anyone knows a good Loncheria that serves the Comida Corida (?).

For inexpensive and delicious comida corrida lunches where most of your fellow diners will be locals having their main meal of the day, try

• La Choza on 10a Av. at the corner of Rosado Salas - while it's clearly popular with visitors, it fills up later in the afternoon with locals having lunch, which is inexpensive (quite a bit less than the menu even if the same item is on both the menu and the comida corrida!) and of high quality. If you ask about the daily specials, they'll rattle them off and it can be hard to catch it all. Better is to go to their Facebook page and see what they have that day before heading over.
  • Las Palmas Cocina Economica on 25a Av. at the corner of Calle 3 Sur - this is a very reliable spot with a fairly large menu that's all low-priced. There will be a crowd of people getting takeout for the family back home. A tampiqueña (a main course plus soup, guacamole, and an enchilada) will fill up anyone for cheap. They have a few Yucatecan things like great poc chuc and relleno negro.
  • La Candela on 5a Av. at the corner of Calle 3 Norte - you have to ask about the comida corrida since it's not mentioned on the menu. You can go in the back and look at what is on offer for the day.
  • Parilla Mission on 30a Av (Coldwell) between Calle 2 and 4 Norte - they have a steam table of comida corrida items against the wall that are less expensive and more varied than their menu items.
  • Loncheria Los Chilangos on 10 Av. between Calle 13 and 15 (which you've already mentioned) - very inexpensive, fairly basic. Good cheap flan for dessert.

I list these in rough order of personal preference, but the first 3 are practically tied and I waffle about them.

Since we are on restaurant recommendations- anyone have recommendations for a vegetarian? (Which I'm actually not, so I'll eat some meat, but I don't really like meat, and definitely don't eat fish. I realize fish is the main staple on Islands, so I'm a bit SOL for a lot of places.)

Also- I've heard fabulous things about El Moro, but that it is a ways back in town - is it safe to walk there, or is a taxi a must?

My wife and I walk to El Moro on most of our trips but we really enjoy walking. We have never had any problem but you have to realize that you will not be walking through a polished tourist area. Check your directions before you start. It can be difficult to locate.

It is not in December but we were just able to book some pretty good fares on Delta from Albany,NY to Cozumel (changing in Atlanta) for $423. each round trip, Nov 11-18. It is usually much more than that. I check fares regularly and when I saw that one I booked it for Marianne's birthday present (which I will get to enjoy).

Last edited:
My wife and I walk to El Moro on most of our trips but we really enjoy walking. We have never had any problem but you have to realize that you will not be walking through polished tourist area. Check your directions before you start. It can be difficult to locate.

It is not in December but we were just able to book some pretty good fares on Delta from Albany,NY to Cozumel (changing in Atlanta) for $423. each round trip, Nov 11-18. It is usually much more than that. I check fares regularly and when I saw that one I booked it for Marianne's birthday present (which I will get to enjoy).

Wow, that kills the $789 per person I had to pay. We even had to drive to Dallas from Houston to get that cheap of a flight :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom