• Xi6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bonica

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Camera with Video Option

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I figured it may be helpful to combine the different threads about the cheap video options, I, among others I presume, am still debating which is the right underwater video option for under $500. The options seem to be:

Most Discussed:
Flip: Pros: good visual, easy to use; Cons: Poor Field of view, no stills option
JVC: Pros: Stills, Higher Resolution, image stabilization, Cons: Poor quality & controls
GoPro: Pros: Cheapest, wide angle; Cons: No LCD (yet), poorer quality underwater

Other Options:
Kodak Xi6: not really discussed but functionality seems to be below others
Bonica Snapper: not discussed here in a while. Seems big and clunky
Digital Camera with housing: Advocated by Gombessa. Seems like one of the better options for those with a camera with good video

For me the options seems to be between the top 3. I'd like to see more video on the JVC and the GoPro. For me this would primarily be used underwater so i can remember my dives when i'm old and feeble as well as make my friends/family jealous :wink: not trying to recreate the discovery channel.

I think I'm leaning towards the GoPro due to its wide angle, cheaper price, and fact the company seems more responsive, but am slightly concerned about the lack of LCD.

How are (or would) other folks lean?

bg

Ack, I got called out by name :)

I really like the idea of compiling a "cheap underwater video" roundup. I think locally, we have a few divers with enough options to make it happen, with some representative video as well.

There are so many cameras on the market with underwater capabilities. On a recent expedition I went on, I wanted a small point and shoot system to back up my professional system. Thanks to Carter at Samy's Camera here in Santa Barbara after we reviewed a whole bunch of cameras, I purchased one of Canon's elph series, SD960 and the underwater housing for it. The camera system with housing and 16gb cards, card reader and all the extras you want to purchase like small tripod and extra batteries, cleaning kit, etc. cost closer to $750 but I chose the system because of the high def video capabilities. For those of you who can go into a shop and feel the camera in your hands and try it out, that is the best way. Collect your facts and then go sample the systems. There are options also that you can purchase systems that submerge in the water. The two questions you always want to consider: What is the purpose of the video/photo I want to capture and what system is user friendly enough for me to do the job. I originally thought I was going to purchase the flip camera because of video and ease of use, but I didn't want a point and shoot video camera and point and shoot still camera. I wanted to try and get a system to do both. That is the direction of the entire camera industry, camera imaging. Video and photo systems that can do both.

I never liked the Flip. After seeing the GoPros' video quality, that's right out. (You can get an LCD screen for it, though) And I just found out that my lens adapter doesn't fit the JVC housing meaning I'd have to drop another $350 for a new w/a set up. I don't like that option too much. So it looks like I may stick with my still cameras' video mode. It does shoot pretty good quality video, so I guess things could be worse. The money I save can go towards tequila and beer when I'm in Mexico in March !!! Arrrrriba !!!!

The Edmonds Underwater Park video was shot with the ContourHD 720p by Twenty20 with the
H2OV custom housing by GMSconcepts. This setup has all your looking for, the camera also comes in 1080p with a 135 degree wide angle lens. You can adjust for contrast, exposure, metering, etc. The housing is small and tough and is currently being dive tested to 80m.
The 1080p package is only $610.00 and comes with a one year warranty and mega support.
www.gmsconcepts.com

GMS - those are really great videos, and I dig the little-acrylic-jewelbox look. And it's impressively wide with very little vignetting in the corners too!

Any chance you can upload 720p/1080p versions of your posted videos to Youtube or Vimeo?

GMS, is there a handle or strap on the box? It looks like it would be very awkward to hold? What is the buyouncy - positive or negative?

For the camera what format is the video saved in? I would probably end up using a separate editing software...

Overall, review online seem pretty positive...

bg

GMS - those are really great videos, and I dig the little-acrylic-jewelbox look. And it's impressively wide with very little vignetting in the corners too!

Any chance you can upload 720p/1080p versions of your posted videos to Youtube or Vimeo?

I'm going to start a youtube page soon, waiting for more video to come in, units are currently being dove in the Egypt, the Netherlands, south pacific, etc.

GMS, is there a handle or strap on the box? It looks like it would be very awkward to hold? What is the buyouncy - positive or negative?

For the camera what format is the video saved in? I would probably end up using a separate editing software...

Overall, review online seem pretty positive...

bg

The housing comes with two 1/4-20 mounting plates that you can place anywhere on the housing, (super strong VHB tape) You can attach it to any camera mount, goodman handle, light bar etc. there is also an easy conversion of the camera's goggle mount which makes for easy attachment to a mask, helmet or any nylon strap.

The camera format is .mov with H264 codex. the camera comes with easy edit software, but for a more pro look you will want to use some good vid software that can handle the 1080p.

This system is pretty cool, not to mention that the camera outside the housing is a great action sport cam. for skiing, MTB, motocross, skydiving and so on...

Thanks for positive view... :D GMS

Back
Top Bottom