Cheapest watch with depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is THE cheapest dive watch you can get with a depth guage?
And (obviously) where can I get it?

Before you answer;
a) Yes, I searched and saw that 2,000 other people have asked about cheap dive watches before. But after spending hours sifting through them, it appears the most common answers are from 3 years ago, and they refer to watches that aren't even made or warranteed anymore.
b) If you had bad experiences with it (or heard of bad experiences with it), don't mention it.
c) By dive watch, I guess it needs to have a WR200 rating in order to remain covered by warranty. But if you know of a WR100 watch that you know divers haven't had any problems with, then you could mention it.
d) Yes, I already have a dive computer. This is just for fun/backup.

(scuba)Tanks for your time,
cra2

Timex Helix. Still available on ebay from time to time. I got a new one for $50.

that's one of those that's not manuf'd anymore (or covered by warranty), correct?

is that really the ONLY thing out there that is less than those pricey Citizen dive watches? I thought there'd be something in the $25-100 range.

St. Moritz Nereos ~$300 (but I have seen it for less), sexy beast and works great as a bottom timer, depth gauge, log....etc.

nerosrubberlg.jpg

Good Post....I'll keep watching. I was bummed to find out that the Casio G-shock Frogman isn't made any more.

Tamas:
St. Moritz Nereos ~$300 (but I have seen it for less), sexy beast and works great as a bottom timer, depth gauge, log....etc.

nerosrubberlg.jpg

I _think_ that uses citizen internals. You can pick up a citizen with depthgauge on ebay for around $200.

No, Ekybay, get one. Your computer will die on you once in awhile. Have a backup.

FWIW I looked into this subject myself and came to the conclusion that it's best to get a dive computer or bottom timer unless you want to wear it as an actual watch when not diving. Reason is that you can get a bottom timer (metric) for about $116 (sometimes less) and a computer for about $135 (with 10% off SB discount if you call) because they are better for diving than watches (more rugged and larger display) and cheaper than most dive watches. The exception is the Timex Helix Dive watch, which is a fine but it's not something you'd want to wear outside of diving, and it only shows depth down to 40m (130') and one of mine failed (small flood) at a shallower depth, though the other has been doing okay for about 100 dives, some down to 200' - though even that one has had some minor problems and will probably die soon (metal panel fell off and needs gluing, some of the functions stopped working for a bit but now work again, and the lock function does not lock the watch mode properly anymore).

*Floater*:
FWIW I looked into this subject myself and came to the conclusion that it's best to get a dive computer or bottom timer unless you want to wear it as an actual watch when not diving. Reason is that you can get a bottom timer (metric) for about $116 (sometimes less) and a computer for about $135 (with 10% off SB discount if you call) because they are better for diving than watches (more rugged and larger display) and cheaper than most dive watches. The exception is the Timex Helix Dive watch, which is a fine but it's not something you'd want to wear outside of diving, and it only shows depth down to 40m (130') and one of mine failed (small flood) at a shallower depth, though the other has been doing okay for about 100 dives, some down to 200' - though even that one has had some minor problems and will probably die soon (metal panel fell off and needs gluing, some of the functions stopped working for a bit but now work again, and the lock function does not lock the watch mode properly anymore).

I agree. Even though I have a Helix, it's just something I keep in a save a dive kit. I have two computers, one in gauge mode, I can wear both or just one at a time but it's a better backup system if one dies before an important trip. They are much more robust than the Helix. Still, for a cheap backup which was the original question it's a good solution. If you are concerned with a waranty and are looking at $300 watches then a dive computer is much better.

Back
Top Bottom