Checked bag; suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kona Diving Company provides weights at no extra charge for paid boat and shore dives. Otherwise, daily rental for weights (no belt) is $6.00.

Unfortunately, in the Philippines, I have seen some passengers turned away with regulators in their hand carry luggage. It is officially outlined in their aviation law that it is not allowed as they think it can be a weapon but I do know that enforcement is poor at best and it is very hit or miss. At that point, do you just check it in and continue your way or do you try to insist and perhaps miss your flight and possibly derail your trip? The passengers I have seen turned away chose to proceed with option 1. I think that is the only place that I have heard of or seen any issues with it being in carry on, though.
T'was for carry on weight restrictions mostly but also hoping it might circumvent their (Philippines ) "thoughts of regulators as weapons" why I carried 5 first stages sans hoses in Ziploc bags in my rain coat (4 for family and me and a spare or for pony) and all the hoses and second stages with hoses in Ziplocs in the carry on / personal bag sized bag. Of course either could be used as weapon, but it seems to work for two trips (second trip was just me and 2 sets for SM). Camera gear,housing, flashes, lights for that and lights for all 4 plus spares, Li-Ion batteries in individual small Ziplocs baggies, computer for those that brought it (a aparrently 3 of us could not be w/o. Chargers, another, smaller camera, ... plus all essential diving gear (suits, fins, masks, booties, BCDs / BP&Ws for four made for pretty funny looking carry-on and personal bag contents ... (being sure we can bring carry on and personal bag also is why we took an international flight to Cebu not an in country one). Flash lights, bagged Li-Ion Batteries and other heavies (I carry two 1 lbs ankle weights in case someone has trim issues) made for further funny rain jacket pocket stuffers (all to limit carryon weight as much as possible)
Anyway, it worked those times, does not mean it always would. If it's verboten, it is and enforcement can vary.

But where it is permitted to bring regulators on board why not?
We travel far less than many here, but had luggage arrive 1 and 2 days and once like 5 days late. No help if the day after the last flight you board an LOB from an Island other than the one you landed on. It felt prudent to have that stuff on us for that reason. With 2, 3 days of time not too distant from the airport I'd relax about that ... and certainly I have no reason to carry all the heavy stuff on the way home. Of course the computers and cameras and Li-Ions still need to be carried on. The latter is a regulation, the others are just for not wanting to have it lost or stolen... too valuable to us (well, OK, frugal me).

I'd like to hear suggestions from members' personal experiences with checked bag(s) for gear.

I saw this and, though okay in terms of size, gear doesn't appear to be secure in it.

TUSA Roller Duffle Bag

Has anyone ever worn their BCD on the plane? I've heard stories of such legend but never done it myself. Willing to try, though.

Might be uncomfortable with the wing and STA.

If I were to check a bag it would not have scuba anything on the bag, having scuba stuff on the outside screams expensive steal me.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I wound up getting a suitcase for the checked dive gear.

I have never come across any operator or liveaboard or anyone who has ever told me that an operator didn't provide weights. Save your weight for something else or travel lighter. With that said, in warm water, I need a 1/2 kg or 1 lb weight and that would be my exception - I've noticed not many ops have 1/2 kg weights in countries that use metric.

Pensacola, there is a dive boat operator who doesn't supply weights. :)

Has anyone ever worn their BCD on the plane? I've heard stories of such legend but never done it myself. Willing to try, though.

A friend of mine did so quite some time ago. She was on her way to meet me in Roatan and came afoul of dreaded overweight bag police. So she removed her Zena (iirc) and wore it on. We laughed for ages afterwards. I doubt that this would fly nowadays. Pun intended

Back
Top Bottom