Children becoming certified in some countries before 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JulieannevZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a friend who's son is 10 years old.

Her and her husband have been Master Scuba Divers for about 20 years. Since their son was born, they haven't been scuba diving much.

However, they do a lot of snorkelling and other water activities with their son, and he loves the ocean.

I know that in most countries (especially America and Australia) that children cannot obtain their Junior Open Water until they are 12.

I also know of an 11 year old who obtained her Junior Open Water in Vanuatu, and is now allowed to dive (only with her mother or an instructor) in Australia.

Does anyone know of other countries where a child can obtain their Junior Open Water before the age of 12? And, if so, what age?

Thanks.

In New Zealand, the minimum age for PADI Junior Open Water is 10. For a while there I think we had the youngest "certified" diver in the world. Pretty scary really. I certainly don't think that a 10 year old (or a 12 year old) is ready to cope with potential problems underwater. I think that 16 or so would be a more appropriate minimum age.
It is all very well requiring them to dive with a DM, Instructo, or Care giver, but who is the caregiver's buddy for redundancy should something go wrong? I certainly don't think that that should be the resposibility of a 10/12 year old.
I believe PADI altered their Junior Open Water standards about 2 years ago to make 10 the minimum age. It is obviously still down to the instructor's discretion to decide whether they are mentally ready (I don't think they can be).
SDI have a Restricted Diver Certification with a minimum age of 10 as well.

JulieannevZ:
Hi everyone, I have a friend who's son is 10 years old.

Her and her husband have been Master Scuba Divers for about 20 years. Since their son was born, they haven't been scuba diving much.

However, they do a lot of snorkelling and other water activities with their son, and he loves the ocean.

I know that in most countries (especially America and Australia) that children cannot obtain their Junior Open Water until they are 12.

I also know of an 11 year old who obtained her Junior Open Water in Vanuatu, and is now allowed to dive (only with her mother or an instructor) in Australia.

Does anyone know of other countries where a child can obtain their Junior Open Water before the age of 12? And, if so, what age?U

Thanks.
My daughter is a certified PADI Junior OW diver. She got her cert. when she turned 10. We live in the US. She got certified in Hawaii. Even though she doesn't dive anymore (only 12) she still got certified and can dive in Hawaii. Not sure of any other states seeing as how we live here for now.

PADI has two "junior" open water levels. (I don't recall the exact names).

One is for ages 10-12. The child must be accompanied by a certified parent/guardian, or a dive professional (DM or above). Depth limit is 40ft.

The other is 12-14, which is true "junior OW", where they are just like adults, but junior. (e.g. can buddy with another teen, shudder, or any random certified adult).

I agree that some 10 yr-olds may lack either the physical or emotional maturity to scuba...

hdtran:
PADI has two "junior" open water levels. (I don't recall the exact names).

One is for ages 10-12. The child must be accompanied by a certified parent/guardian, or a dive professional (DM or above). Depth limit is 40ft.

The other is 12-14, which is true "junior OW", where they are just like adults, but junior. (e.g. can buddy with another teen, shudder, or any random certified adult).

I agree that some 10 yr-olds may lack either the physical or emotional maturity to scuba...

Heck I could say the same about some adults, including pop stars, sports stars, CEOs, etc. I suspect a 10 yo may be a better student than adults, as their minds are spongelike whereas adults tend to be opinionated :wink:

I am pretty sure that the 12 year old age limit is more a rule of thumb in Australia. It is a recommendation, not law. And this guideline will also vary from state to state.

MoonWrasse:
Heck I could say the same about some adults, including pop stars, sports stars, CEOs, etc. I suspect a 10 yo may be a better student than adults, as their minds are spongelike whereas adults tend to be opinionated :wink:

You think Michael Jackson has been partaking a bit too much nitrogen? :dazzler1:

If the child is mature enough, the minimum age is 10. When I work with these younger students, I watch for ear clearing problems. It's sometimes very difficult to get some of them to understand the concept of clearing the ears. I have refused to allow some to continue until they mature a little more.

We had an 9 year old I believe in our course here in CT

Here's the straight word:
The "Scuba Rangers" (SSI) and the "Bubble Blowers(?)" (PADI) allow children as young as 8 years old to use SCUBA in the pool.
At 10, if they are apt, they can get a 10-11 Year Old Junior Open water certification. The academics and the skills requirements are the regular OW ones; they are restricted to 40' (12M) and must dive with a certified parent, legal guardian or dive leader (instructor/DiveCon/DM/AI).
At 12, they can get a regular Junior OW certification. They must dive with a certified adult and are restricted to 60'/18M.
At 15 they can get a regular Open Water certification.
The reason there is a Junior Open Water certification in the first place is because they are children. They are not to be considered competent buddies but children that require supervision. If you are diving with a Junior Diver and you want a buddy then you need to bring one in addition to the child.
That is not to say that there are no 10 year olds who can't be a good buddy - indeed, there are and I've met some... but they are never to be assumed to be a part of your life-saving equipment, and if you're an adult buddy to a Junior Diver then you and not the JOW are responsible for the safe conduct of the dive.
---
For those of you who feel children shouldn't be allowed to dive before (you pick it) years old, bear in mind that in the US, SCUBA is not, thank God, regulated by law. A parent can take a child diving as soon as they want to do it. The agencies are providing a structured, safe way to do what parents are free to do in the first place. If you feel "there ought to be a law" ... well, there are places...
Rick

Back
Top Bottom