Children becoming certified in some countries before 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeloyco:
Then what's he difference between an OW and Junior OW diver?

Both require you to dive with a certified buddy, both have a "recommended" max depth of 66-70'

Sounds like the only difference is in what specialties or advanced training you are allowed to do after the cert.

I'm just saying...

According to PADI Standards:

The difference is age. A Junior Open Water Diver is one who is under the age of 15.

For 10 and 11 years old, the maximum depth is 40' and they must dive with a professional (divemaster or above) or a certified parent or guardian.

For 12 to 14 years old, they can go to 70' and can dive with any certified diver of legal age.

From 15 and up, they are Open Water divers. It is taught that Open Water divers should not exceed 60' without additional training, 100' if Advanced Open Water certifiied, and 130' when they have completed the Deep Diver specialty.

I believe that SSI has been teaching ten year olds forever, that is why they couldnt be a member of RSTC untli th recent RSTC change down to ten years old for a limited
certification.

MikeFerrara:
I don't think there should be a law. I thionk agencies and dive centers should act responsibly voluntarily. .

I thionk Mike made a funny typo..:D

My daughter, who is 12 and no longer dives because she saw a shark, is a much better diver than 2 Instructors we had an encounter with 6 months ago. We went out with our normal Dive Operator and they had 2 new Instructors taking a charter out. During the 1st dive they were screwing around and pulling each others weight belts off, in which my husband told them it was unapproriate behavior especially with a group of people they were suppose to be showing stuff to. Lo and behold on the 2nd dive they continued to mess around and kept turning each others air off. Granted they were at 35ft, but that is a terrible example to set. We talked to the owner of the dive shop and he talked to them, but they were still out the next day. It took several people complaining on different dives about them before they got the boot. I hope they never showed their immaturity on dives with children. My daughter got certified at 10y.o. and had a great time (until seeing the shark).

cancun mark:
I believe that SSI has been teaching ten year olds forever, that is why they couldnt be a member of RSTC untli th recent RSTC change down to ten years old for a limited
certification.
No, SSI is one of the RSTC founding members, and only started certifying 10 year olds after RSTC adopted it.
Rick

cancun mark:
I thionk Mike made a funny typo..:D

What would I ever do without you Mark?

Thanks for the correction Rick, I have looked around the web and what you say is 100% correct.

However, I remember two very distinct episodes during my dive career, where I came across ten year old SSI divers before the RSTC change in 1999.

One involved a missing 10 year old diver in NZ (later found safe and eating sandwiches on shore)

and the other was an 10 year old Italian boy on a liveaboard out of Cairns in Australia (panicked and nearly drowned while diving the Cod hole).

In both cases I was led to believe that they were certified by SSI.

Both these incidents scared the living bejeezus out of me which is why I remember the details.

Can anyone else shed light on this? Was SSI different in the pacific region regarding age?

A BIG Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread.

I am clear about the requirements now and the posts are really interesting.
I'll let my friend know what's been said.

I learnt to dive 3 years ago, along with my husband and 12 year old daughter. The 3 of us did the course at the same time, although we had different buddies most of the time.

My daughter was really good in the pool and learnt to use the equipment more easily than I did! However, she didn't like the ocean much and hasn't dived again since getting her Junior Open Water.

Now, she's 15, none of her friends dive, and she's not interested at all.

Thanks again!

My 13 year old son and I qualified as PADI OW in march. I understand peoples fears about young children learning a potentially dangerous sport. However, I think that each child has to be judged on individual merit and mental age. My son is extremely cautious but learnt the skills as easily as I did. Some children know no fear and that is the danger in my opinion. The amazing thing is that he had to do the exact same skills as I did and the only difference is that he can dive to 12m with an instructor or certified parent whereas I can dive to 18m. I think it leads on to how responsible a parent is. I know my own limitations and I wouldn't dream of taking my son out on a dive with only me as a buddy. I want an experienced diver to be on hand in case either of get into trouble. When I dive with my son, I keep one eye on the guide/instructor and one eye on my son. It's difficult but he is my responsibility and I want him to enjoy the dive and know that he has me around if there are problems. we are about to embark on our first dive in the North Sea as qualified divers and I will only do that with a qualified professional diver with us. I may relax that proviso in time but only when my own confidence rises to a leve where I feel that I could provide the necessary help if my son got into difficulties.
Have fun and safe diving!

I would not allow my child to dive before twelve a least (in open water). A pool is fine, but too much can go wrong in open water and I would question if any youth would be able to keep there wits about them in a panic situtation.

Back
Top Bottom