choices choices choices!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccaigk1:
thanks for all the input guys,

Diverbuoy,

I do plan on getting eanx certified in the future. I also mean to make this investment a lasting one so id want my reg to be nitrox compatible. I was under the assumption that all 3 of these regs were compatible to 40% I guess my question is, once you go eanx you cant breath air on the same reg once the o-rings and such have been switched over? i can see how standard parts could be sensitive to more o2, but will the degrade with a lesser o2 content? Also, what exactly do you mean by "breaths dry" lol i hope i dont buy this thing ( am leaning to the atx50 right now) and get mouth full of water!

-kevin

Kevin,

I recommnd ScubaPro with the "Free Part." with all things considered.
I am also using Apeks and ScubaPro. But, if you are student with a tight budget, the maintenance will be your another concerns. The annual service isn't a rocket science, but it isn't worth for only one regulator. And the resale vaule of ScubaPro is better like Apeks.

mccaigk1:
thanks for all the input guys,

Diverbuoy,

I do plan on getting eanx certified in the future. I also mean to make this investment a lasting one so id want my reg to be nitrox compatible. I was under the assumption that all 3 of these regs were compatible to 40% I guess my question is, once you go eanx you cant breath air on the same reg once the o-rings and such have been switched over? i can see how standard parts could be sensitive to more o2, but will the degrade with a lesser o2 content? Also, what exactly do you mean by "breaths dry" lol i hope i dont buy this thing ( am leaning to the atx50 right now) and get mouth full of water!

-kevin

Glad to hear it. These three regs are "compatible". However, unless indicated, and confirmed by your dive shop ... never connect a regulator to an enriched air nitrox tank unless it has been serviced for this use. If you have a reg serviced for nitrox you cannot switch back to Air and back to Nitrox again without another servicing ... welcome to the world of EAN. The greases, oils and other things contained in what I loosely term "dirty air" which unfortunately comprises the vast majority of compressor air fills from dive shops (with rare exception) would pack your regulator full of nasty things that would not agree with an enriched oxygen environment.

I just thought of a sick picture ... remember in Jaws II when the sheriff electricutes the shark and you see the flames shooting out the eye sockets and gills ... imagine a high pressure oxygen fire in your mouth and nose at 50 feet ...not a pretty picture. <just kidding>.

DiverBuoy:
Oh one more thing, do you plan to dive oxygen enriched air, then you will also have to give consideration to the regulator you buy, it would have to be serviced for EAN for example and then it could not be switched back and forth. The o-rings and lubricants used have to be safe with higher oxygen environment. For example some of these regulators have a max O2 % limit. Many of the Apex/Zeagle low end models can't service past 40% O2. But anyway for more details post your questions in the technical forum.
Three things:

1. All regs sold today should be EAN40 compatible out of the gate. I know this certainly applies to all Apeks regs.

2. A *recreational* reg shouldn't NEED to go past EAN40. Unless you need it for deco gas, which is crossing into technical diving and not really an appropriate recommendation for someone who is buying their first new regulator.

3. *Any* current Apeks regulator can be O2 cleaned, or you can buy them already O2 cleaned (with gaudy yellow and green colors on the env seal and second stage).

http://www.apeks.co.uk/

mccaigk1, the ATX50 is a great regulator. You could also save a few bucks by getting the DS4 first stage instead of the DST first stage with the swivel turret that normally comes with the ATX50. Its a better, smaller, cheaper alternative. I have the DST, trust me the swivels on a first stage are not nearly as useful as you might think looking at one in a dive shop. :wink:

Don't get sucked into the hype thinking you need a 100% O2 compatible regulator, its a needless expense because its just not necessary for ANY recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom