Choosing a dive school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comment to you isn't about telling what not to do nor is it about encouraging you or not, it is about being realistic in your expectation and in your plans. I have been a diver since early 70's and an instructor (with several agencies), instructor trainer and course director since 1987 in addition to my other achievements in my education and career. You posted here a most unrealistic "dream" that clearly shows your gross underestimation of what is involved to become a safe and experienced diver that can go on to become an instructor who can be trusted to teach loved ones how to dive. If you are expecting a pat on the back and encouragement to pursue this endeavor despite the very obvious flaws in your steps and unrealistic expectations, you are unprepared for this goal and in need of a heavy dose of reality check. Your trying to compare two different instructor development centers from totally different agencies before doing your homework and understanding the difference and the options including trying out courses from different instructors in all agencies only shows that you are missing a great deal of preparation and understanding of how it work and what it takes in diving as a recreational activity and as a career and profession. There are more fundamental questions to ask and facts to understand before trying to compare two dive instructor career development centers.

You aren't the first person with such lofty goals and dreams I saw in my dive instructor career and you won't be the last btw. You may get one of the instructor development centers to be happy to take your money and get you involved but your passing or failing doesn't mean much to them at all.

P.S. Hall's is a far more reputable facility in dive leadership training than anyone else in the US AFAIK!! I have had friends and students go to both and the difference is very clear.

Last edited:
I have decided to change careers at age 60! Hey, I'm not getting any younger. So I have narrowed it down to two schools. The Florida Keys Dive Center and The International Dive Career Institute at Halls. I have talked to both of the schools and I really don't know which one would be best for me.

I just retired as a flyfishing outfitter and guide after 23 years. Prior to that I had a 20 year Army career. We closed our lodge last week and plan on having everything on the market by spring. It is glaringly apparent that I will be bored stupid if I don't start a new career so my wife and son both agree that a diving career would fit me like a glove. I am in very good shape and have a lot of snorkeling and a little bit of diving experience though I am not certified.

I guess I'm hoping someone could tell me of their experiences with these schools. Both seemed very professional yet engagingly friendly.
I am not able to answer your question about either of these schools, but I do want to address your plans. To summarize, go for it! If I understand you correctly, you want an active retirement, you have not had the opportunity with where you live to pursue it as extensively as you would like so you held off, you have sufficient experience with discover scuba diving excursions to know you really enjoy it, you are fit and let's face it, you are not that old, but you are not a snot nosed kid either.

I think that you get that you will have to work your way to the top and that this isn't going to happen just like that. I will say that your age may make some dive operations hesitate, but if you can fix boat engines and air compressors (if one of those doesn't run, neither does the business), that will help you tremendously. While you are going to be living in the Keys, I'd still suggest learning a foreign language or two for the sake of foreign tourists. Plus if you and your wife decide to relocate to the Caribbean, those languages will certainly help. Also, a captains license goes a long way. I remember talking to a boat captain who said the reason so few of them exist is that so many refuse to give up recreational drug use.

Welcome to the world of diving and feel free to message me privately for anything if you wish.

Burhan Muntasser- I do appreciate what you are saying. I think wetbe4igetinthewater summarized it well. Thank you both. Oh, and thank you for the info on Halls.

bty wb4igetinthewater, I speak Spanish also, though not as fluent as I did when I lived in Panama.Not a lot of need to practice here.

I will be starting my Captains course this March so I should have my Masters License by the time I start the dive school.

I will be starting my Captains course this March so I should have my Masters License by the time I start the dive school.

Is that a coast guard license? My understanding is that it takes years to get one. I could be wrong however.

It is the USCG Captains license. The course is online but the test is in Summerland Key Fl. I have many years of boat handling experience but not as much offshore. I know, I know, the school does not substitute for experience. (I'm sure someone will point that out to me) but it give me the license to gain the experience I need.

School does not substitute for experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just so you feel better :) )

Aqua Llama- you and I are embarking on a similar path.

Having been certified for many years, I took the plunge this year and gained my instructor rating (PADI OWSI) at 53 yrs old. Like you this is part of my "unretirement" plan to teach diving. Now I am doing my MSDT in cold water so that I gain experience in a dry suit.

As Burhan Muntasser eluded to, as part of your investigation, it would be worth your time to investigate which certifying agency( PADI, NAUI, SDI etc) will best meet your goals.

Once you get your initial certification, take the time to build up your dive experience in a variety of conditions. In doing so, it will not only build out your skills and understanding but will also address the minimum dive number requirements needed progress through the different certification levels.

Enjoy the Journey!

I don't think your plan is thought out. You have no idea if you can even get certified, you have not looked into how much experience it takes to even START an instructor course, and you have no idea if you are better off with PADI or NAUI.

I'm older than you are, so don't give me that "I'm 60 y.o." crap. If you want support for your dream and suggestions on how to do it, then you need to do some homework and pay some dues. Otherwise, you are just a kid with a dream. There are lots of them.

Hey Aqua Lima. Welcome to the board.

I totally get it. At some point in life you don't want to go to work anymore. You want to go to fun. At 60 you are probably thinking if not now then when? It is understandable to feel a sense of urgency that most here may not understand. The issue is not whether you can become an instructor or not. Sure you can. There are zero to hero programs that are waiting for someone like you to walk in and they will make you an instructor. A 60 year old on a fast track is exactly what they need.

It is more about being a sensible customer. If you are non-certified or even newly certified then instructor may seem like a god status but you really need to know what you are being sold. Instructor is 2% training and 98% experience. How much money are you willing to spend for that 2%?

One of my instructor friends is about to go out of business. He cant afford insurance anymore. This guy is a technical diver who is the same age as you. He has spent his life diving and he cant make enough to buy instructor insurance for next year. He has a good day job so it wont hurt him to wake up but if he was starting out at 60 then waking up at 80 may seem like a total waste of some crucial years.

I have a better suggestion. If I was in your situation I would get certified and work in scuba retail. You are learning about diving and you are part of the industry but it is a real job. Take courses and diving one step at a time. Your choices and decisions may change.

Good luck in whatever you do.

I'm sure glad I don't listen to people like Tursiops. Are all instructors so arrogant? Do you talk down to your own students in the same way? Because I don't have your experience I'm not worthy to learn? What do you mean don't give you that 60 yr old crap? I just made the statement that I was starting a new direction at 60. Is that wrong? You obviously have only understood a small portion of my post as I have reiterated several times that I have been researching this for over a year. Yes, I can be certified. I HAVE scuba dived in the past. I took an open water course while living in Panama during the early 80's. Unfortunately, the certification was not valid as it was taught by Army Rec Services and allowed us to rent gear from them, but not through any National organization. You need to realize that I am not afraid to fail. I am more afraid to not try. So instead of assuming that I am just some day dreaming rube, you might want to offer a little encouragement. I mean seriously bro, why would you want me to be discouraged before I even try this? I'm not wasting your time or spending your money.

Captain Sinbad, No thanks on the retail part.....ugh. I am looking at this with the understanding that I am on a compressed time line. At 60, the clock is ticking and the finish line is just over the horizon. I want to attend as much schooling as possible in 2017. After that, I will be able to run the boats and gain dive experience during the 6 months between divemaster and instructor courses. I'm in a pretty good situation as I don't 'need' a job, (but it would make things easier.) I currently own and operate a fishing lodge here so I could also work in the resort management field too if I wanted. I sure don't want to wake up at 80 and say, gee I wish I had become a scuba dive instructor.
My son is a very avid diver and has a good equipment knowledge. When it is time to buy my gear, he will assist me as will the instructors at the dive school I go to.

Funny! My son just called me. He has signed me up for an open water certification course in Houston this January!(We are going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks a couple days after the course...think he's looking for a dive buddy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom