Choosing a dive school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny! My son just called me. He has signed me up for an open water certification course in Houston this January!(We are going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks a couple days after the course...think he's looking for a dive buddy?
That's great! But why wait so long?

I get the impression that you have a thirst for knowledge, so I'm going to recommend some material to you that will help you with your open water course (and some questions to ask your future instructor(s)) and additional diving info.
Jim Lapenta's book: https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practi...&qid=1478271144&sr=8-1&keywords=james+lapenta
Andy Davis's website : Sidemount Technical Wreck | Andy Davis Technical Diving Philippines (great blog and articles)
Cave Diver Harry's website: Cave Diver Harry (great blog)

And people, let's encourage him. @Aqua Llama isn't looking to raise a family and send his kids to university from his income as a scuba diving instructor. I think he's happy just to have some income to reduce the amount he takes out of his retirement, and this is certainly doable. And he will be marketable with dive operations that want a stable instructor that isn't going to try to sleep with every attractive female client that they come across. He's not some clown with no life experience and no clue.

OP, great, I got your attention.
Now get off transmit and put your head on receive, and read and think about some of the advice you are getting.
Or, you can ignore it and flip a coin and go to one of those "schools." it won't make any difference which one, unless you are really looking to work in the industry, in which case go with PADI because there are MANY more job opportunities. If you've really been researching this for over a year, I'd think you would already know that.

Thanks guys(& or girls?)
I'd be out of here starting tomorrow but we just finished our fishing season and lots of stuff to do before spring. Thanks for the input and advice (and encouragement) I've decided on PADI as it is the industry standard.
wtbf-you have nailed it exactly! Thank you.
tursiopd, yes, you have my attention! Like I said above, I agree with you on the PADI. I have a meeting with the VA on Monday. There is a really good chance they will pay for the entirety plus equipment as I qualify for the vocational rehabilitation program...That will be nice if that works. If not I will pay my own way. It looks like I'l be spending a lot of time studying this winter. We are now starting to look online at apartments around Islamorada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom