Christmas in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save that green (and blue, purple, brown, and orange - Cayman cash is very colorful) stuff and get a condo. Preparing some meals yourself is about the only way to save that time of year.

There are probably still some condos available, but Christmas is one of the busiest times of the year. You'll need to decide if you want to be near the action of Seven Mile Beach, or if you want to find a quiet spot in Cayman Kai.

Airfares are really high for Christmas. Airlines black out the deep discount fare for the dates around Christmas. You'll have to adjust travel dates as early as about Dec 18 to have a chance at lower fares.

Grand Cayman is a great place for new divers to get certified. Dozens of dive shops to choose from means lots of choices. Keep in mind that very small operators may be so busy that they can't afford to put aside one instructor to handle training for just one person. Go ahead and start emailing now and confirm details of training well before coming down.

For newly certified divers, Grand Cayman has a multitude of dive sites no deeper than 60ft. You can even see the top edge of the Cayman Wall which starts at 45-70ft and plunges thousands of feet into the depths.

but you can hang out at shore dive sites and just keep asking. Be up front about your training level, and you can probably hook up fairly easy.

You can hire a dive guide at most of those shops, but that increases the cost substantially. For about the same amount, you might can get a two tank boat dive.

This is general reply and thank you note for those of you who were kind enough to reply to my original posting. After much searching, I found a package trip to Cuba for the Christmas period which is at a very modest price, with excelllent diving and no single supplement. I would be pleased to provide more information to anyone who is interested but be aware that, although the company works in various countries, my costs are from Montreal, Canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom