Cigars...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello readers:

DCS

I would be surprised if there was any effect of smoking on DCS since the tables, and gas loads, are conservative. It is true that nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and thereby effects a reduction in blood flow. One would immediately believe that this is intrinsically bad for off gassing. I am not aware of any study in which it was tested, however.

Diving tables have a wide margin of safety and nicotine probably is not a modifier of off gassing to any degree. In altitude work, DCS is more common, but pilots and astronauts do not smoke while in the cockpit or on spacewalks.

I would guess that if smoking affected DCS, we would have seen some correlation from the field in studies performed, e.g., by DAN.

Other Effects

Nicotine is not a harmless drug. It does promote relaxation, etc, but so does sitting down and having a glass of lemonade. As far as diving goes, the hydrating effect of lemonade is very beneficial - - more that a cigarette.

Cigarettes and not so good, but then neither is a sedentary lifestyle, beverage alcohol, too much table salt, and a lack of vegetables.

It is best to simply watch the excessive straining between dives and maintain hydration levels. :sprite10: :no:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

....Nicotine is not a harmless drug. It does promote relaxation, etc, but so does sitting down and having a glass of lemonade. As far as diving goes, the hydrating effect of lemonade is very beneficial - - more that a cigarette.

Cigarettes and not so good, but then neither is a sedentary lifestyle, beverage alcohol, too much table salt, and a lack of vegetables.

It is best to simply watch the excessive straining between dives and maintain hydration levels. :sprite10: :no:

Dr Deco :doctor:

While not a complete sign off on cigar smoking, thanks for the advice. I can see it now: sitting on the bow of a dive boat, wind in my face, relaxing after a successful and safe dive, with a double R and a bear/beer/margarita/single malt/lemonade ... nice!

Course, I'll have all those non-smokers in the back of the boat complaining about the second hand smoke but .... :wink:

Sit at the back of the boat, and people won't complain (as much)

howarde:
Sit at the back of the boat, and people won't complain (as much)

Along with the diesel or gas fumes, I guess people won't mind since it's downwind ... but the views are not as pretty but closer to the cooler. :D

Moderation is the key, even too much diving can be harmful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom