Cigars...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And many a time I smoke at my cigar shop. And its a time of relaxation for me and being a little social with others that smoke cigars. I have border line high blood pressure accept after working out it lower. I bet after smoking at the cigar shop that my blood pressure is lower too.

Wth the exception of the cute owner of the cigar shop. I bet my blood pressure goes up a little because of her, but its worth it.

STOGEY:
The above reply is a bunch of belogna. I've been smoking cigars for years and I've never had a problem with my endurance level. In fact I swim up to two hours at a time when I'm doing my swim workout. I have never been a very ffast swimmmer, but I bet I can out endurance the best of em.

Hence my avitar name.

Plus many times when I'm on a shore dive with my dive group and returning back to shore. I'll get on my back after inflating my bc and light one up just to piss off the non smokers.

I'd love be be diving with Militant-Medic.

Lol I'm a chain smoker, so I doubt you would piss me off. And while you may have not noticed any ill effects, that doesn't dimish the facts. While you may not be inhaling, some smoke is inevitably inhaled.

Cigars and cigarettes contain Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide binds with haemoglobin 200 times easier than Oxygen. If you are inhaling your ability to process oxygen and transport O2, and thereby off gas nitrogen, to the body is severely diminished.

If you don’t inhale than probably no biggie, however you should note that even if you don’t inhale you will inhale some amounts of smoke no matter how careful you are.

I like a nice stogie every now and then but I generally don’t bother when I am diving. For me it’s a case of sitting back at the end of the day with a nice glass of port, smoking jacket and slippers, little bit of Led Zeppelin playin’ nice an loud and having a nice… big… relaxing… stogie. Of course I am banished to the garage because the little woman hates smoke.

I remember hearing stories from former RNZN Operational Divers who would have a “Cigarette Tender” standing waiting for their brass hats to come off with a lighted cigarette in their hands so the guys could have a quick fix before they went into the chamber to finish their deco.

They also carried these habits over to Civvy street with them and would immediately crack a ciggy when they got topside.

They are still alive so take what you can from that.

Disclaimer: I do not advocate smoking and diving as it is harmful to your health and could kill you. I also do not smoke (apart from the occasional cigar-and not while diving)

Azza:
Cigars and cigarettes contain Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide binds with haemoglobin 200 times easier than Oxygen. If you are inhaling your ability to process oxygen and transport O2, and thereby off gas nitrogen, to the body is severely diminished

you forget to say PaO2 is normal and to talk about the Hb-O2 dissiociation curve and to mention the fact ppO2 increase with depth.
So that the COHB fraction decrease with depth.

Is there any significant or demonstrable effect of inhaling the smoke from 2 cigarettes ?

regards

perche:
you forget to talk about the Hb-O2dissiociation curve and to mention the fact ppO2 increase with depth.
So that the COHB fraction decrease

regards
I have a feeling you know more about this than I.
I was thinking more of at the end of the dive when our bodies are still offgassing...

perche:
you forget to say PaO2 is normal and to talk about the Hb-O2 dissiociation curve and to mention the fact ppO2 increase with depth.
So that the COHB fraction decrease with depth.

Is there any significant or demonstrable effect of inhaling the smoke from 2 cigarettes ?

regards
I can't see that having a higher PPo2 would make much difference. If 2 CO molecules have already attached themselves to 1 Hb molecule, then that still means that only 2 O2 molecules can attach to that same Hb molecule instead of 4.

So lets say you come up from a dive, and are still off gassing, then light up a smoke or two, that CO is now binding with your Hb therby stopping some O2 binding and getting to your tissues and efectively limiting your offgassing. That could be dangerous if you have just finished a deco dive...
As for a standard dive? Wouldnt know. Im just a diver not a physicist:D

However physics aside the fact remains that smoking and diving is bad. No one can defend that surely...

Azza:
But wouldnt the PPCO also increase? I can't see that having a higher PPo2 would make much difference. If 2 CO molecules have already attached themselves to 1 Hb molecule, then that still means that only 2 O2 molecules can attach to that same Hb molecule instead of 4.

So lets say you come up from a dive, and are still off gassing, then light up a smoke or two, that CO is now binding with your Hb therby stopping some O2 binding and getting to your tissues and efectively limiting your offgassing. That could be dangerous if you have just finished a deco dive...
As for a standard dive? Wouldnt know. Im just a diver not a physicist:D

However physics aside the fact remains that smoking and diving is bad. No one can defend that surely...

I don't smoke.

:D Smoking is dangerous. :D

Ok, but this has nothing to do with the effect of CO during the dive. And PaO2 is normal, 1/2 life HbCO is 320min for FIO2=21%, ppO2 increases with depth, no more smoke inhalation during the dive ....
is there any significant effect from smoke inhalation?
I'm waiting for a comment from Dr Deco

regards

Azza:
....I like a nice stogie every now and then but I generally don’t bother when I am diving. For me it’s a case of sitting back at the end of the day with a nice glass of port, smoking jacket and slippers, little bit of Led Zeppelin playin’ nice an loud and having a nice… big… relaxing… stogie. Of course I am banished to the garage because the little woman hates smoke.

That's what I'm talking about .... :D

Actually, the trouble with smoking a cigar between dives isn't the PPCO, PaO2, Hb-O2 dissiociation curve, COHB fractions etc. It's keeping your cigar lit ... you're wet, you're hands are wet, the deck's wet .... not to mention planning your second dive! Too much to think about. :D

Azza's right about the port, kicking back .... perfect time for a Davidoff Double R.
:chillin6:

DiveGolfSki:
That's what I'm talking about .... :D

Actually, the trouble with smoking a cigar between dives isn't the PPCO, PaO2, Hb-O2 dissiociation curve, COHB fractions etc. It's keeping your cigar lit ... you're wet, you're hands are wet, the deck's wet .... not to mention planning your second dive! Too much to think about. :D

Azza's right about the port, kicking back .... perfect time for a Davidoff Double R.
:chillin6:

Ohhhh Yeeaaaahhh!:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom