Cigars...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'm working on a nicotine filter like BioApollo's moisture filter. Lol just imagine variable nictotine rates...without the smoke!!!

MilitantMedic:
While Vixen has a point, I think the answer you are looking for is:

Smoking descreases your cardiopulmonary functioning (duh) and puts you at a FAR higher risk of a Pneumothorax. All that means is you now have a hole in your lung, the air (or in this case any breathing mixture) escapes you lung and into the surrounding tissue (Pleural space). You lung ends up collapsing and you have severe diffuculting breathing and possible death. You really don't want to get one, more so around me =). The treatment is to slice into your rib cage jam a forcep in open it up a bit then jam a big tube up next to your lung to drain out the air and blood, letting your lung "reinflate." (oh BTW I've done this to people without any pain killers!!{albeit not divers})

To prevent this, don't smoke and never hold your breath. (They'll teach you all of this in your open water class.)

All things considered I might prefer getting bent than a TPT (Tension PneumoThorax).

To recap follow safe diving procedures and don't smoke.

Hi,

Cigars smokers have a much lower risk of lung cancer and COPD
than cigarettes smokers.

regards

awestholm:
This is exactly why I'm curious... I certainly don't inhale cigars, so I wondered what effects the nicotine might have on deco. I would think the effects would be similar to excersize, in terms of heart rate, but I'm not at all qualified in these matters (or I wouldn't ask!).

All the same, I'm sure it's a bad idea... I just thought there might be a slim chance of being permissable.

Thanks to all who replied.

-- Alex

:D

Hi,

I agree with you. Even if you inhale the smoke.

I don't see a problem about oxygen. Perhaps CO interferes with the O2 transport function of blood. But more you dive deeper more you get an increase of ppO2 and a shift of the O2 dissociation curve in the right way. So that smoking should be not a problem for Deco....
the proof: treatment of CO intoxication could be HBO.

Regards

MilitantMedic:
While Vixen has a point, I think the answer you are looking for is:

Smoking descreases your cardiopulmonary functioning (duh) and puts you at a FAR higher risk of a Pneumothorax. All that means is you now have a hole in your lung, the air (or in this case any breathing mixture) escapes you lung and into the surrounding tissue (Pleural space). You lung ends up collapsing and you have severe diffuculting breathing and possible death. You really don't want to get one, more so around me =). The treatment is to slice into your rib cage jam a forcep in open it up a bit then jam a big tube up next to your lung to drain out the air and blood, letting your lung "reinflate." (oh BTW I've done this to people without any pain killers!!{albeit not divers})

To prevent this, don't smoke and never hold your breath. (They'll teach you all of this in your open water class.)

All things considered I might prefer getting bent than a TPT (Tension PneumoThorax).

To recap follow safe diving procedures and don't smoke.

The above reply is a bunch of belogna. I've been smoking cigars for years and I've never had a problem with my endurance level. In fact I swim up to two hours at a time when I'm doing my swim workout. I have never been a very ffast swimmmer, but I bet I can out endurance the best of em.

Hence my avitar name.

Plus many times when I'm on a shore dive with my dive group and returning back to shore. I'll get on my back after inflating my bc and light one up just to piss off the non smokers.

I'd love be be diving with Militant-Medic.

STOGEY:
I'll get on my back after inflating my bc and light one up just to piss off the non smokers.
If you really mean that, it's a fine attitude.

STOGEY:
The above reply is a bunch of belogna. I've been smoking cigars for years and I've never had a problem with my endurance level. In fact I swim up to two hours at a time when I'm doing my swim workout. I have never been a very ffast swimmmer, but I bet I can out endurance the best of em.

Hence my avitar name.

Plus many times when I'm on a shore dive with my dive group and returning back to shore. I'll get on my back after inflating my bc and light one up just to piss off the non smokers.

I'd love be be diving with Militant-Medic.

risks of upper airway cancer is similar among cigaette and cigars smokers.
association whisky and cigar increase the risk for oral cancers

regards

I workout up to three hours a day, lift weights,swim, run, sometimes box a little, plus my diving. Now smoking one cigar a day is not going to hurt me. I don't need anyone trying to tell me how to run my life specially in the health area or any where else.

There are many people in this world and country who try to tell other how they should or shouldn't live, because they themselves don't live a certain way.

I personally do not get involved with telling others how they should live, specially if they are an adult and can make decisions for themselves. I do not allow others to do the same to me.

Besides we are all going to see our maker eventually, its a part of life.

STOGEY:
I workout up to three hours a day, lift weights,swim, run, sometimes box a little, plus my diving. Now smoking one cigar a day is not going to hurt me. I don't need anyone trying to tell me how to run my life specially in the health area or any where else.

There are many people in this world and country who try to tell other how they should or shouldn't live, because they themselves don't live a certain way.

I personally do not get involved with telling others how they should live, specially if they are an adult and can make decisions for themselves. I do not allow others to do the same to me.

Besides we are all going to see our maker eventually, its a part of life.

My English is very bad....
Sorry.
But I'm not one of these people that try to tell you what you have to do.
I answered to the initial post and the some other answers.
Period.

regards

François

jagfish:
Good question, Alex, I've wondered about this myself. A properly smoked cigar is done Clinton style, no inhalation. Depending on the smoker and environment, you might not even get a secondhand smoke effect (especially outdoors).

So the affects on the body are likely different that cigarettes. The nicotine is still absorbed, but the effects on the lung's ability to exchange gas might not be impaired since there is no smoke damaging those surfaces.

Uhhh! The Clinton Style of "no inhalation" refers to the former President's use of drugs (specifically MJ). That was scandal #1929292. The Cigar scandal (#3339289) referred to Clinton and Lewinsky's use of the cigar .... :11: ... and I still don't know what they did ... :D

As for the whole cigar issue, light it up. George Burns did and he reached 999. Yeah you'll have a risk of throat cancer ... assuming you smoke as much as cigarettes AND inhale. They're not as addictive (no special additives from tobacco companies) ... I don't crave for a cigar unless the circumstances are right (e.g., port/single malt/brandy; fireplace, a great dive + a beautiful day, gorgeous date, etc.... ) :D

When you develop throat cancer, then don't smoke :D Unfortunately, you probably can't dive either so ...

perche:

risks of upper airway cancer is similar among cigaette and cigars smokers.
association whisky and cigar increase the risk for oral cancers

regards

What's the risk of getting cancer from second hand smoke in Swiss, French or any European restaurant/bars? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom