Class cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just signed up K8 and I for AOW, Rescue and Nitrox classes in march at our LDS. I feel like I got a decent deal on the classes at $200 for the 3 classes X2=4 franklins, but the material (books, CD's and tables) shocked he **** outta me. They ended up being as expensive as the classes.

When My girl took her classes, we were told we would get a discount on anything we buy from the dive shop. Well I was told that materials and tanks are not discounted when all of this was rang up by the shop owner.

Is this normal? It suuuuure doesn't feel right and I don't like feeling like I have been ripped off.

I just signed up K8 and I for AOW, Rescue and Nitrox classes in march at our LDS. I feel like I got a decent deal on the classes at $200 for the 3 classes X2=4 franklins, but the material (books, CD's and tables) shocked he **** outta me. They ended up being as expensive as the classes.

When My girl took her classes, we were told we would get a discount on anything we buy from the dive shop. Well I was told that materials and tanks are not discounted when all of this was rang up by the shop owner.

Is this normal? It suuuuure doesn't feel right and I don't like feeling like I have been ripped off.
Local dive shop here charges $900 for the OW class - complete with everything, except for mask, fins and snorkel - which you are expected to buy (or otherwise come up with). It charges $600 for AOW, which includes everything except materials (which is something like $50). Those prices are per person.

I paid about $550 for my wife's AOW class - which included rental gear and book. Parking at the dive site was another $15, plus gas and tolls to get there (another $50 or so).

I paid about $450 for my Rescue Diver & EFR class - which was with book, a loaner DVD, and did NOT include any rental gear (I had my own gear). Parking at the dive site was another $15, plus gas and tolls to get there (another $50 or so).

Hope this helps!
nd

Last edited:
Local dive shop here charges $900 for the OW class - complete with everything, except for mask, fins and snorkel - which you are expected to buy (or otherwise come up with). It charges $600 for AOW, which includes everything except materials (which is something like $50). Those prices are per person.

I paid about $550 for my wife's AOW class - which included rental gear and book. Parking at the dive site was another $15, plus gas and tolls to get there (another $50 or so).

Hope this helps!
nd

$900 WOW!
When I took it it was $199 for the class, $60 for the rental gear for the weekend and 40 for the pic card and something else I can't remember. The book was included in the class price. So $300 total and I thought that was high, ha ha ha.

Where are you lacated that their getting that kind of bank?

...Is this normal? It suuuuure doesn't feel right and I don't like feeling like I have been ripped off.

Well, if I understand what you are saying (I may not), it sounds like you are paying ~$800 for 2 people to take AOW, Rescue, and Nitrox? If that is the case it sounds pretty good to me. Prices are different from place to place, but here it would be about $800 per person. So the price you are quoting doesn't sound bad to me.

I know here the local shop I went to charged at the time of my course 250 dollars which was the course and materials plus the actual open water dives so all in all I think it was a good deal. We also had to buy mask fins and snorkels which we received at that time the first 75 dollars off. I think now though its the same price but he gives you 15 percent off if you purchase mask fins boots and snorkels together from him.

I have to admit I have traveled quiet a bit and always tend to ask how much it cost when I go places and he has got to be one of the best deals I have found yet.

As far as the tanks he doesnt discount them that I know in any format but he does give you the first 10 air fills for free. I even had a problem with the inner side of my tank not even 6 months after I purchased it and he fixed it for me.

I have shopped alot on line and yes I do have to agree just for paper and some plastic they are a little on the proud side though.

I agree with Jasonmh, sounds like a good price even considering the materials.

If I were to do AOW, Nitrox and Rescue throught my current LDS, it would cost $279 for AOW, $149 for nitrox (with 2 dives), and $379 for Rescue (not including the EFR requirement). that includes materials but no rentals if needed so that works out to $807 for one person. If you're getting $800-900 for TWO people, I wouldn't complain if I were you.

It sounds cheap to me too... I charge 425.00 for AOW per student, which includes books, pic card, instruction and six boat dives. Maybe they're doing all shore dives with you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom