Classes to become a better recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two top quality guys, both I believe will do customized instruction. I believe Trace specifically says it on his web page, and I know Jim will do stuff like that. Also proximity....

Thanks. Definitely something new for me to consider. I really appreciate it.

I had a one day session with Trace years ago when having drysuit issues and it was really worthwhile. (The water in the cenotes is still warmer and much clearer than Dutch Springs, though.)

I had a one day session with Trace years ago when having drysuit issues and it was really worthwhile. (The water in the cenotes is still warmer and much clearer than Dutch Springs, though.)

I've been to Dutch often. Haven't been to the cenotes though I've been diving in Cozumel. Nice to hear a +1 on Trace.

You might look into a Fundies class. Find an instructor that hasn't drunk the kool-aid and just wants you to be a better diver. They are out there.

Second this.
I took the Fundies training, even though I have no real desire to "Go Tech".
It was a great class, and truly added to and honed skills.

I had looked into this before & it seemed really interesting, but the gear changes made me leery.

I think you read my statement above a little too quickly. I do not want to become an instructor, but I appreciate the suggestion. And to answer your question, I don't care about a card so much as just becoming a better diver.

Learning on a variety of different gear configurations is a great idea, imo. You begin to decide what works best for you, and your style of diving only after you have experimented and trained on a variety of set ups, and tested different techniques to see what fits you best.

As you suggested early on, training with an agency other than the one you first certified through often gives you new perspectives, tools and insights.

I did not train with Trace myself, but just the experience of being an extra diver when a friend was training with him at Dutch helped me, skill-wise.

Here's a suggestion, get some tech training. Wait, wait, hear me out....I know you said you didn't want to do tech diving or go deep!! But, you could do something like an intro to tech course and/or Advanced Nitrox. You can do both courses without going below 130'. You can also do these courses on a single tank, so no need to worry about doubles. They might entail some gear reconfigurations, but I think you'll find these to be a good thing too.

For me, the tech training not only qualified me to do technical diving, but it made me a much better recreational diver. In particular, learning how to plan your dive, including gas consumption, was very helpful even for recreational dives. Also, the overall training to dive "above" the recreational level, increased my overall skills and made the entire recreational dive even easier to manage.

Since you're willing to travel, I highly recommend Jon Belisario at Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC. He's really a gifted instructor.

Oh, ha ha ha! Yes, I did read your answer too quickly. Oops. That's an interesting answer. I never thought about working with an instructor to do my own tailored training. I've heard of that for tech, but never thought about it for rec. Why did you suggest Trace Malinowski & Jim Lapenta specifically?

For the past few years before I retired from teaching my most popular class was a skills workshop, tailored to the needs of the individual student. It did not come with a c-card, but it did involve a discussion with the student about what they specifically wanted out of the class. If I hadn't dived with them before we would do a checkout dive so I could see where their strengths and weaknesses were, and we'd tailor a curriculum around both the discussion and the dive. It was, by far, my most popularly requested class.

I suspect Trace and Jim are being recommended because of their attention to personal needs, rather than to an agency-mandated set of exercises that may or may not be useful to you. Both have a reputation for high-quality training, which almost always comes from former students. That's the sort of instructor you're looking for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Rescue Diver course I took many Moons ago made me a better rec diver. Certainly made me a better and more observant/aware buddy.

Ironically I think the course makes it less likely you'll ever have to perform a rescue, as you will tend to "pick up" on situations earlier on, which left on their own might have devolved into a rescue scenario. Stitch in time...

The Rescue Diver course I took many Moons ago made me a better rec diver. Certainly made me a better and more observant/aware buddy.

Ironically I think the course makes it less likely you'll ever have to perform a rescue, as you will tend to "pick up" on situations earlier on, which left on their own might have devolved into a rescue scenario. Stitch in time...

Rescue Diver is the only class beyond Open Water that I believe every diver should take. If taught well, it's less about rescuing other divers ... or even about diving skills ... than it is about how to keep yourself out of trouble. It is both physically and mentally demanding, and for many it's their first realization that good diving requires both skills and situational analysis. Highly recommended, regardless of what other classes you decide to take.

NAUI Master Diver is also a very good class for the recreational diver. It's the diving skills part of their Divemaster program (minus the dive leadership portion), and when properly taught will help you develop a lot of skills you might not get in any other class. Their Search and Rescue segment is especially good.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom