Classes to become a better recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the NAUI MSD (if taught by the right folks). Again, an interview is essential to see that the instructor and you are on the same page.

What classes can I take to become a better recreational diver?

Some background info:
  • I'm PADI AOW. However, I'm open to other agency recommendations.
  • I'm willing to consider classes that have specific gear requirements, but changing my beloved gear just for a class would only occur if the training were truly special.
  • I have a small PFO. Though I'm medically cleared to dive & have no history of DCI, I err on the side of caution & dive conservatively. Therefore, I know for a fact that I will never dive deeper than 130 ft. nor will I do any tech diving.
  • I do not want to become an instructor.
  • I'm based in nyc, but am willing to travel for training.

When I asked this same question something like five years ago--and it's apparently a common question--the SB chorus, including some of the most respected names then on SB, replied, "GUE Fundamentals!" They said that even if I were to choose not to continue diving the GUE or so-called "DIR" way, the takeaways from the course would be invaluable. Maybe there are more options now. Maybe enthusiasm for GUE/DIR reached a peak some years ago. I have no idea.

All I can say is it worked for my wife and me, and we have never looked back.

The argument made to me was that it can "make recreational diving more fun." And the ultimate goal of recreational/sport diving is to have fun. It took me a long time to "get it" how diving this way can, for some people, make diving more fun, but eventually it sunk in. My wife and I took the course together, and we are convinced we do have more fun.

I had never heard of DIR, GUE, etc. I didn't want to change my "beloved gear" either; I had been diving with the traditional BC configuration for over 10 years. I had no interest in tech diving, either. I was very skeptical of the whole idea. A SB member kindly offered to show me a BP/W and a regulator with a weirdly long hose--stuff I had never seen before--and tell me a little about her own progression and experiences. There's nothing like having a mentor. It sure looked like tech diving to me. My wife was convinced this weird new gear was going to make her miserable. Despite our skepticism, we persevered. I like to think I didn't "drink the Kool-Aid" so much as absorbed it slowly through my skin. I'm still on the slow road. I never intended to do any tech diving, but since I lived within a relatively easy drive of FL cave country--the epicenter of GUE--it made sense to take Fundies there, and in the course of spending so much time there (yeah, it took three trips before I passed Fundies) I inevitably met a lot of cave divers. But I do all my diving more or less the GUE way. Even on a lazy dive to 40 feet on a Bonaire reef, we do the standard safety checks, etc. Some say it's overkill, but I think of it like brushing my teeth; it's just what I do. Some argue that rigidity in procedures and gear would annoy them--diminish their freedom or something. However, to my wife and me, it's that sort of "just do it this way" philosophy that we feel frees us. Clearly, this does not describe everybody. Kudos to the people who love picking everything apart and never being satisfied with "good enough"--someone has to do it, or there will never be innovation/advances in diving--but that just isn't me.

@Lorenzoid makes some really good points. I have not received any GUE training, so I can't comment on it, but it's really what I was getting at with regards to tech training. After my training, I convinced my recreational dive buddy to move to a BP/W and long hose. She's really getting the hang of it now and doesn't want to go back. We also plan each dive and do our checks, indeed even on the "lazy reef dives." It quickly becomes routine and it really helps to ensure that just about anything that crops up during a dive is nothing more than a minor annoyance. This then opens the door for better competency and more fun!

I would guess that almost all instructors in almost all agencies who are also tech instructors offer recreational level classes that will teach the advanced buoyancy and skills associated with technical diving. Some will require technical gear; others won't. I teach a course called TecReational diving which teaches those skills in whatever gear you show up in. I will certainly make suggestions about gear choices, but I will leave the decisions up to you. I assume there are hundreds of instructors around the world who will do the same.

If you find yourself in Dubai for a couple of days I'd be happy to do some tailored training with you. If you want something closer to home I'd heartily recommend @Trace Malinowski

Oh and totally agree on a Rescue course. Changes nearly everything about the way you think about diving.

The Rescue Diver course I took many Moons ago made me a better rec diver. Certainly made me a better and more observant/aware buddy.
This. Of all the classes I've taken, I reckon that Rescue is the one I learned the most from. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with enough dives and sufficient technical skills to do that course. Having completed Rescue, there are only two classes I seriously consider taking these days. That's GUE Fundies and CMAS 3*.

I want Fundies to advance my own diving skills, and I want CMAS 3* to advance my dive leadership skills. I have zero - at best - interest in "going pro" in the PADI system, but the dive leadership/assistant instructor curriculum in either PADI DM, CMAS 3* or (I believe) BSAC DL will probably make me a better diver considering that diving is a lot more than my own ability to backfin or stay in perfect trim with +/- 0.5m depth variation during my safety stop. The big difference between DM and 3* or DL is that the former is geared towards commercial diving ops, while the two latter are geared towards club diving. The CMAS 3* curriculum we have include decompression theory, dive boatmanship, dive leadership above and below the surface, rescue operations and instruction. Among other stuff (it's two full weekends of theory, and a minimum of eight dives).

I only personally know PADI. Agree with everyone in the world about Rescue. I don't know if it makes you a "better" diver, but obviously a safer one. Many tout the PPB course and add it depends a lot on the instructor, but you probably have no need for it at this point.

Another thread I've been following brought up a tangential idea which I've been tossing around for a while so I figured it was a sign from the dive gods. :)

What classes can I take to become a better recreational diver?

Some background info:
  • I'm PADI AOW. However, I'm open to other agency recommendations.
  • I'm willing to consider classes that have specific gear requirements, but changing my beloved gear just for a class would only occur if the training were truly special.
  • I have a small PFO. Though I'm medically cleared to dive & have no history of DCI, I err on the side of caution & dive conservatively. Therefore, I know for a fact that I will never dive deeper than 130 ft. nor will I do any tech diving.
  • I do not want to become an instructor.
  • I'm based in nyc, but am willing to travel for training.

Since you mention classes I won't. I'm sure everyone will give you a list of available skills classes.

What I would suggest is to dive with buddies who are a LOT better than you and willing to mentor. Nothing will help your diving "level up" faster than that.

R..

dive with buddies who are a LOT better than you and willing to mentor.
Great point. I sincerely believe that most of what I've learned regarding diving has been through gentle mentoring by clubmates rather than through my courses.

Back
Top Bottom