Cleaning encrusted reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a product called salt away for cleaning old regs. Works wonders on the internals of old DH regs

Ok, second stages are disassembled and cleaned with exception of two parts that I need tools I don't have (poppet and valve body thing).

For the first stage I guess I'll need some extra tools to remove the nut on the yoke part.

The redish area on the 1st stage is the brass showing through. Not a problem.

H

I use a product called salt away for cleaning old regs. Works wonders on the internals of old DH regs
I've tried a couple of times to find out what's in the salt removal products like Salt-X and Salt Away, and as best I could tell it's believed they are a mild acid, possibly with additional components that among other things, provide coating and protection (the target market for the stuff is removal of salt from motors and other marine equipment). Do you do anything other than water rinse to clean off the Salt Away?

Ok, second stages are disassembled and cleaned with exception of two parts that I need tools I don't have (poppet and valve body thing).

For the first stage I guess I'll need some extra tools to remove the nut on the yoke part.
You should be able to rebuild the reg without any ScubaPro specialty tools. Tools you have at home will work just fine. For the yoke nut, you either have to have a thin wall socket or a big adjustable metric wrench and a good solid way to hold the body. Now before some of you all start flaming and say it can't be done that way, it can. I've been doing it for years and I do have a few years of working on gear.

Ok, I am really new to this so do you have any links to more specific wrenches or "wall socket" you use? Like from Sears or Lowe's etc?

This would cover yoke nut. Then there is poppet part...

I am looking for the following to do (from the manual)

Remove the nyloc nut from the poppet
assembly using the ¼” Nut Driver.
Remove the poppet assembly from the
housing.
Use the universal tool to remove the
adjustable orifice from the valve body.

Where can I get MK200 kit to replace parts that need to be replaced?

I've tried a couple of times to find out what's in the salt removal products like Salt-X and Salt Away, and as best I could tell it's believed they are a mild acid, possibly with additional components that among other things, provide coating and protection (the target market for the stuff is removal of salt from motors and other marine equipment). Do you do anything other than water rinse to clean off the Salt Away?

just rinse with water no need to deactivate anything. Vinegar is less expensive but will eat stuff up.

I got the 1/4" nut driver and now one second stage is all apart and cleaned. Second one is mostly apart with exception of removing adjustable orifice from the valve body. It is stuck. Not sure if there are easy to find replacement parts for R190 for that. I used flat screw driver and first one came out easy, second one doesn't budge and I don't want to damage it. Thoughts?

A couple of simple green cleaning cycles and all second stage parts are apart and clean.

I am going to the shop and pick up two kits and get the first stage opened so I can clean it.

Thank you all helping me out with this little project. Still have no clue where to get MK 200 kit. Any ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom