Cleaning encrusted reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a bit of an encrusted (been in salt water probably few weeks or more) regulator (ScubaPro) and figured that I'll use it to learn how to clean and work on a reg.

Worst case it can be my demo reg to show in equipment class.

What suggestions do you have for a beginner in such endeavor?

- A good long soaking in clean water to dissolve as much of the encrustation as possible.

- be careful with soaking for too long in any solution that will remove the chrome - like vinegar ... don't ask :wink:

- find the manuals at www.frogkick.dk - /

- if possible use the right tools for disassembly

- if it won't come apart, don't force it. More soaking, possibly in hot/cold baths

It's a start :D

Henrik

Well I started with putting apart what was obvious (hoses, port cover, put 2nd stages apart a bit what one can do by hand) and used ultrasonic cleaner + simple green for initial soaking/cleaning.

What would be good brush type to softly remove somewhat loosened up junk w/o scratching?

Hi iztok,

I use a toothbrush and "bottle brush". A finger nail or wooden toothpick for more stubborn deposits. As far as vinegar "soaks", I use 50% white vinegar/water solution, and soak for maybe 5 minutes at a time, softly brush, soak some more if needed. "Less is more" when it comes to an acid bath (which vinegar is). Then I "neutalize" any part I've soaked in a baking soda / water bath, then wash in fresh water pretty carefully (may be overkill, but wont hurt :wink: ).

Have fun!!

Bronze bristle brushes are gentler than steel, and widely available. Those green scrub pads probably wouldn't scratch the chrome, and some of them are pretty abrasive. I like the Simple Green or similar first to clean and degrease, then acid should dissolve the mineral deposits especially in an ultrasonic cleaner, which is very effective, also use warm or hot water in it. I use 10-50% common white vinegar and haven't had any problem with chrome after 10 minutes in the US cleaner, though I haven't tried it on worn or flaky chrome. Soak in fresh water afterward.

For tougher encrustation esp on plastic or stainless parts, you can dilute a strong acid like pool acid 100:1 or so and use brief exposure and scrubbing with a stiff nylon bristle brush (don't use the green pads). Don't leave the part or your skin exposed to the acid any longer than needed before rinsing and soaking.

Toothbrush and toothpicks work well for me.

H

Two runs with simple green, brushing in between, and one run in 50% white vinegar and they look much better.

I see redish areas on the 1st stage after encrustation went away in vinegar solution.

Keep in mind this is just "outside" cleaning as I do not have the tools yet to open them up beyond what one can do with basic tools. (don't want to add extra damage).

I'll post pics in a bit after today's round of cleaning.

Hey Iztok! Don't you know it's what's on the inside that counts... :)

Garth, I do know! :wink:

I just don't have the tools to open the reg at home (yet). So I'll have to go to the shop and open it there and then take it back home to clean inside. Doing my best with what I have at the moment.

Well, I've at least figured out what the reg is :) MK200 and R190 (octo seems to be R190 as well)

After some checking it looks like it will clean up rather well. Some parts will have to be replaced (I'll need to find kits for those regs).

It might look ugly but it should work and should be a good first try on the reg cleaning and repair. Looking forward to this adventure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom