Cleaning equipment used in saltwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnweh

New
Reaction score
I have seen products sold that can be added to tap water to help in removing salt water.

I was told that you could add I think it was vinegar and peroxide to the water for the same purpose.

Have you tried this or do you know of another additive that would be effective against residual salt?

I put everything except my regs and bcd in the washer with a little soap and put it on gentle cycle. I rinse my bcd in the shower/bathtub with no soap. Salt usually dissolves in fresh water.

I haven't heard the home remedy. I use a product called Salt X when I use anything other than freshwater...

plain fresh water works well for all our gear. we have a old bathtub outside near the lockup and swish the gear around and rinse out the bc bladder

for our wetsuits, i add a sort of enzeme stuff to freshen up the suits (we're pee'ers and proud)

been cleaning our gear for over 10yrs this way

cheers

I put everything except my regs and bcd in the washer with a little soap and put it on gentle cycle. I rinse my bcd in the shower/bathtub with no soap. Salt usually dissolves in fresh water.

You are a smart man. It is amazing how a little salt can ruin zippers, valves, etc.

Little hard stone that sticks like glue on plastic and metal zippers. I guess you can boil them out with vinegar, but it stinks up the house and damage the neoprene. I wish I take care of my gear as well as you do. Hosing with fresh water just isn't good enough. I really need to open my regs more often and clean the cruds out inside too.

Dive enough that your gear never gets dry? I finished my 140th dive this year yesterday, woohoo!

I usualy rinse it good between dives, and give it a really good rinse before packing it up and taking it home after a trip, then when I get home everything usually gets a good 24 hour soak in the tub (with some sink the stink, or baby shampoo) before getting hung in it's place.

I'll give the inside of the BC a good rinse with a hose before I use it again (just in case I missed anything..it's currently hanging up inflated)

Dive enough that your gear never gets dry? I finished my 140th dive this year yesterday, woohoo!

I find that even when damp, the darn salt eats at your geat. I think it is good to rinse even on a prolonged surface interval. Salt eats everything, including stainless steel.

I usually hose all my gear off to get the sand and stuff out. Then I'll set up a tub with fresh water and Simple Green and soak everything in that for at least 20 minutes, then transfer it to another tub of just water and let it soak some more followed by another rinse with the hose. Then hang it up to dry. Simple Green is biodegradeable and gentle on the equipment, plus it gets rid of any residual salt or pee.... Haven't had any problems with salt accumulation this way.

The key is to try not to let anything get dry once it has been exposed to saltwater.

simple green is a good degreaser. I wonder if it is good to soak the regulator in that often? I soak my regs in a bucket of freshwater over night along with the knife sometimes. The suit gets dunked and rinsed in a cooler of water. Very rarely do I use any soap on any dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom