Cleaning Yellowing Skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Is there anything that will clean a yellowing mask skirt? Mine looks nasty, but I like the mask. Thanks

Once they have discoloured unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done. Have you thought about switching to a black skirt mask, they never discolour lol.

I have not tried it (my mask is black) but I've been told that soaking it in very warm water with Dawn dish liquid will help

There is nothing that can be done. It is exposure to UV and chemicals in the environment (like sun screen for instance) that causes it to yellow. The mask generally remains soft and useable despite the unsightly yellow/brown discoloration. Keep the mask out of the sun, clean it with Dawn after a dive, keep it in a box or plastic bag. Other than that, enjoy it and accept the fact that most clear silicone masks will eventually discolor.

N

Also make sure to keep your mask out of your fin pocket if you have black fins like Jets.

Wear the mask as a badge of experience and be proud of it!

I don't know about cleaning it but I noticed that if I do not store them in a dark place they don't yellow and if I do they tend to. I started doing that because I knew that oil based paints yellow in dark areas, like inside cabinets. I don't know if there is a connection but it seemed to help with mask skirts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom