Cleaning Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KierenConnell:
Well i dive where ever i can but my closest spot is Edithburgh.

Yea those temps are a normal day around here nothing new!

El Alamein Camp is not baxter detention center, El Alamein Camp is still there and still used as well as Woomera, thats where they test their bombs because it is an open firing range and they also have international war games.

Yep they have the Giant Cuttle Fish, Whyalla is a good spot to go to see them especialy during breading season (Dont ask when that is)

KierenConnell

Ah right you are then. How close by is it? It looked right it was right next door on TV. Must freak the asylum seekers out hearing HE rounds going off all hours of the day & night.

We used to live fire over there a fair bit when I was in Mortar Platoon. Cultana was one of the few places we went where we could actually see our fall of shot from the baseplate position, otherwise here in Tassie, both training areas are pretty hilly and very very thick bush, so at best you'd see a bit of smoke rising above the treetops, especially when we once live fired white phos and started a humungous bushfire.

Went to Woomera on an Ex too....what a craphole....we thought Cultana was bad but it seemed almost like rainforest compared with Woomera, just brown clay and dried up salt lakes everywhere you went and flat as a tack, no bull****, we had one 1:25000 map that had maybe four contour lines on it; we could see the lights of Roxby Downs at night from there. And naturally, just to make life awkward, the Ex Area was at the conjoining point of four maps, quite frequently, we'd be on one map, observing "enemy" activity on another map, with our main force on yet another.

Still millions of flies - where do they come from and just what the hell do they eat?

Do you work at the minesite?

Trickie Dickie 99:
Ah right you are then. How close by is it? It looked right it was right next door on TV. Must freak the asylum seekers out hearing HE rounds going off all hours of the day & night.

We used to live fire over there a fair bit when I was in Mortar Platoon. Cultana was one of the few places we went where we could actually see our fall of shot from the baseplate position, otherwise here in Tassie, both training areas are pretty hilly and very very thick bush, so at best you'd see a bit of smoke rising above the treetops, especially when we once live fired white phos and started a humungous bushfire.

Went to Woomera on an Ex too....what a craphole....we thought Cultana was bad but it seemed almost like rainforest compared with Woomera, just brown clay and dried up salt lakes everywhere you went and flat as a tack, no bull****, we had one 1:25000 map that had maybe four contour lines on it; we could see the lights of Roxby Downs at night from there. And naturally, just to make life awkward, the Ex Area was at the conjoining point of four maps, quite frequently, we'd be on one map, observing "enemy" activity on another map, with our main force on yet another.

Still millions of flies - where do they come from and just what the hell do they eat?

Do you work at the minesite?

It is about 2-3 kms away from the detention center. From what i know they dont do much live firering there anymore they send them to Woomera for that one, yea Woomera is really flat and ****, its fun to watch the soldiers play their war games because they have one where it is kind of like capture the terrorist so they have their guns on them patroling the town and searching cars!!!

If you could see the lights from Roxby at the rocket range in Woomera then you must have been in a heli or plane becuase roxby is surrounded by sand dunes when driving there you dont know you are until you are in the town because you cant see it otherwise.

Yea there are ****loads of flies and they eat the roadkill after the Eagles, Hawks and crows are finnished, oh yea they also eat people!!

I dont work at the mine site, im still at school, im only 16! But i wanna work there as a Mine Engineer (Big cash because no one is doing the degree and the mine (BHP Billiton) pays Uni students doing the degree pay their Hecs fees, pays THEM, and gives them a place to saty and you have a garenteed 2 year contract with them after your studies)

From what ive read i think i might not change the water as regulaly but i will still soak for 3 days just becuase i can!
I don't get it, what's the point? How can anything over a few hours matter...?

DandyDon:
I don't get it, what's the point? How can anything over a few hours matter...?

It matters because i want the longest life out of my gear so i will make sure it is washed with no salt to screw it up, simple really.

refitter58:
Are you a surgeon? You could walk right into an operating room with gear that clean!

Well i have acctully thought about becomming a surgeon, you know that get good pay!!

KierenConnell:
It is about 2-3 kms away from the detention center. From what i know they dont do much live firering there anymore they send them to Woomera for that one, yea Woomera is really flat and ****, its fun to watch the soldiers play their war games because they have one where it is kind of like capture the terrorist so they have their guns on them patroling the town and searching cars!!!

If you could see the lights from Roxby at the rocket range in Woomera then you must have been in a heli or plane becuase roxby is surrounded by sand dunes when driving there you dont know you are until you are in the town because you cant see it otherwise.

Yea there are ****loads of flies and they eat the roadkill after the Eagles, Hawks and crows are finnished, oh yea they also eat people!!

I dont work at the mine site, im still at school, im only 16! But i wanna work there as a Mine Engineer (Big cash because no one is doing the degree and the mine (BHP Billiton) pays Uni students doing the degree pay their Hecs fees, pays THEM, and gives them a place to saty and you have a garenteed 2 year contract with them after your studies)

Definitely saw lights way off on the horizon, one of the civvie range staff told us what it was......maybe it was Olympic Dam then - the two mines are connected aren't they? Same ore body anyway. It was def. one of the mines though, not the township where you live.

The troopies you see there would be reservists then, probably 10/27 Bn Royal South Aust. Regt or maybe Adelaide Uni Regt. It's called VAP - Vital Asset Protection, pretty well all that the Aus ARES has trained for for the last 15-20 yrs. How ironic that those are the kinds of wars we are now fighting; at the time we thought it was crap and just wanted to do the big stuff, all arms, artillery, armour, close air support etc etc, thought that what we were training for was just the secondary thing, now it's the main game in town

Roadkill? What does the roadkill eat out there to grow big enough to become roadkill? I didn't see so much as a blade of grass the whole time I was there.

Trickie Dickie 99:
Definitely saw lights way off on the horizon, one of the civvie range staff told us what it was......maybe it was Olympic Dam then - the two mines are connected aren't they? Same ore body anyway. It was def. one of the mines though, not the township where you live.

The troopies you see there would be reservists then, probably 10/27 Bn Royal South Aust. Regt or maybe Adelaide Uni Regt. It's called VAP - Vital Asset Protection, pretty well all that the Aus ARES has trained for for the last 15-20 yrs. How ironic that those are the kinds of wars we are now fighting; at the time we thought it was crap and just wanted to do the big stuff, all arms, artillery, armour, close air support etc etc, thought that what we were training for was just the secondary thing, now it's the main game in town

Roadkill? What does the roadkill eat out there to grow big enough to become roadkill? I didn't see so much as a blade of grass the whole time I was there.

There is only 1 mine Olympic Dam Mine run by BHP Billiton, Roxby Downs is the town that is 9 kms away from the mine.

Kangaroos are bloody big on their own, so are Sheep and Emu's. They get hit by cars and trucks.

You may have seen a station or something but deffinatly not the mine or Roxby Donws. They are 80 and 90kms away each and you can only see around 8-10 kms with the human eye untill the curve on the earth kicks and and stops your sight. So sorry but you didn't see the mine from Woomera or the rocket range at Woomera or anywhere the army travels around the general Woomera area, it is just too far away

KierenConnell:
It matters because i want the longest life out of my gear so i will make sure it is washed with no salt to screw it up, simple really.

Counterproductive.

It doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so for salt deposits and crystals to dissolve, once they are in solution all you're doing with extra soak time is distributing the salt solution to every part of your gear.

If you really think your gear is better off soaking than dry, then why not store it submerged?

OK, I"m officially pulling the "you're a troll" card out.

trolls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom