Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol: bit of surgery to my foot. Doc said since I dive splits I may be able to get in the water a month earlier :duck: Should be nice and warm by then. Nothing like a good shore dive on Christmas Day :)

:lol: bit of surgery to my foot. Doc said since I dive splits I may be able to get in the water a month earlier :duck: Should be nice and warm by then. Nothing like a good shore dive on Christmas Day :)
Here's hoping that you'll be able to before then! :praying:

I just stumbled upon this post, and read about 40 pages before my sleepiness won over the laughter. But I can't really laugh. As a "fluffy" person, I am absolutely dreading attempting to even find a wetsuit that will fit me when I go for my OW next spring. Especially after reading this thread, lol.

I just stumbled upon this post, and read about 40 pages before my sleepiness won over the laughter. But I can't really laugh. As a "fluffy" person, I am absolutely dreading attempting to even find a wetsuit that will fit me when I go for my OW next spring. Especially after reading this thread, lol.
Ditto.... I found this site for custom fit suits the prices look comparable to a stock suit maybe a little higher but hey a few bucks more for a custom suit.

https://aquaflite.com/

I should pass on my recent experience (for those of a nervous disposition, please look away).

Went to my dive school (not my nearest but I trust the guys there more than my LDS) to buy a wetsuit (Scubapro Definition IR 7mm if anyone is interested).

Had been in a few weeks earlier having some issues with a dry suit (turns out the body section is about 2 inches too short for me) but that isn't the main story. I decided at that point that I was going to go for a wetsuit but found that the shop don't stock my size (at 6'3 and slightly "comfortable" around the waist it is hardly surprising). They said they would order it in and could I come back in a couple of weeks when it would be in. "Fine no problems" said I.:D
Went back down and spoke to the guy behind the desk (not the original guy I had spoken to before) who said" yeah the suit is hanging over here" so I went over grabbed the one he pointed to and ducked in to the changing room.
Now I had been warned that a new suit would likely be difficult to don as the neoprene needs to stretch a bit on the first few dives so I was expecting a bit of resistance. I had previously discovered that, for me, the easiest way is to roll the legs and arms inside out and roll them up my limbs so that is what I proceeded to do. Managed to get the bottom of the leg over my size 12 feet (US 14-15) and started to roll it up my leg. Finally managed to get both legs rolled up as far as my butt and with a bit of a strain (stop sniggering my butt isn't that big), managed to get it over. :mad:
Then started on the arms. Extremely tight and difficult to get into combined with still being slightly out of breath from the legs meant this was like fighting an octopus but eventually I managed to wrestle it into submission and had the arms up past my elbows. There was a knock on the door asking "Is everything ok?" (probably because of the moans and groans - I am sure he thought there was an orgy going on ) to which I am thinking "No but I will not be defeated". Normally I can usually raise my arms, shrug my shoulders and it flips over them but no matter what I tried , it wouldn't get past my mid chest. Tried to sit down to get a breather but I was getting parts of my anatomy cut in half :eek: so gave that up.
Decided on one last go so tensed my body up for that one last push, managed to get my arms chest high but the neoprene wasn't having it so ended up with my arms snapping back down to my sides in a millisecond. At this point I conceded defeat and tried to take it off. A few minutes later, after another fight with the octopus, I had it lying on the floor dead with me leaning on the side of the changing room nearly dead.

Went back out to find the original guy that I had spoken to the first visit standing at the till. He took one look at me with sweat running from every pore staggering over and said, while trying to stop himself laughing too much " I think you were given the wrong suit - here's the one that was ordered for you". Took a look at the one I had been trying on and found the size was three sizes too small!!!!!:(

Went back in with the right one and had it on within a few minutes!:D

Lesson for future - check and double check the size before trying the suit on:oops::oops::oops:

I had no issues of my own when I picked up my new drysuit Friday. I was almost hoping something crazy would happen so I'd have something to share. The closest I have is when I was putting it on for a dive on Sunday and I almost put my foot into an arm!

But I saw something absolutely hysterical out at our local quarry where I was doing OW dives this weekend.

An 11-12 year old boy was in his bathing suit, hanging onto a picnic table for dear life while his mother pulled at his wetsuit with everything she had. He had apparently been in the process of taking off his wetsuit, but it got stuck around both ankles. I had to walk away before I laughed myself silly. :)

Great thread, I thought I was alone in my wetsuit try on adventure. My closest dive shop it a 2 hr drive away, don't stock much as there's not much for diving around. So I decided Amazon would work, found a front zippered shorty, check the sizing chart and ordered. It arrives, I decided to try it on in my 5th wheel at the lake after happy hour. Get it on, zipped up and decided, nope too snug, next a size bigger. Unzip and I can't get it even over a shoulder, I'm jumping around my trailer trying. Then the sweat starts and the rum from happy hr kicks in, ok breath...relax I'm telling myself...nope panic again, I think I've got two choices, grab a knife and cut it off or phone my buddy down the way to come help. I know I'll never live it down if I call so I choose the knife. Didn't do it, relaxed again, worked a shoulder out and got out. Let it dry for a day, boxed it up and sent back for a larger size. Glad I'm not alone. Keep the stories coming.

I got a new dry suit in the mail. It had an attached hood. Which was odd, as that wasn't exactly what I remember ordering, in fact I had no idea it was even an option. But what the heck, it's here so I try it. I trim back the seal ring by ring until I can get my head through it, but it seems pretty tight. So I decided to pull it on without the rest of the suit being on, so just my upper torso is in the suit, leaving my arms out. So I pull it on and oh my god, the hood is tight. Like I'm really wishing there was someone else in the house to cut it off if I pass out. It was a lot harder to pull it off than it was to pull it on.

Eventually I get it off and call the shop and they agree it shouldn't have had an attached hood, they also didn't know it was even possible. So I sent it back and they sent me one that fits pretty much perfectly. The same size without the hood.

I got a new dry suit in the mail. It had an attached hood. Which was odd, as that wasn't exactly what I remember ordering, in fact I had no idea it was even an option. But what the heck, it's here so I try it. I trim back the seal ring by ring until I can get my head through it, but it seems pretty tight. So I decided to pull it on without the rest of the suit being on, so just my upper torso is in the suit, leaving my arms out. So I pull it on and oh my god, the hood is tight. Like I'm really wishing there was someone else in the house to cut it off if I pass out. It was a lot harder to pull it off than it was to pull it on.

Eventually I get it off and call the shop and they agree it shouldn't have had an attached hood, they also didn't know it was even possible. So I sent it back and they sent me one that fits pretty much perfectly. The same size without the hood.
Ahhhh, the infamous and sometimes deadly "I forgot to unzip the ankles" trap. I think they are going to use that in the next Bond film. Ernst Blowfeld is going to distract bond while he is getting out of his wetsuit. Once the suit is completely inverted the five minute timer will start... Can Bond reach the zippers in time or is he being blown sky high?

My buddy got his drysuit back from service earlier this year. On buddy checking on the boat, he spotted a second inflator where the dump should be. Undeterred, he still jumped in. To ascend, he improvised an American up-line (he put the reel around the wreck, and did a controlled foot-first acent by relling himself up.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom