Closed ladder with fins on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just read idocsteve's report of a dive off a charter boat where the reboarding procedure is to go up a closed-sided ladder with fins ON. Has anybody else ever run into this? It would be a non-starter for me -- if you fell off the ladder and got a fin caught in the opening, the leg fracture you'd end up with would be horrendous. I can't believe someone thinks this is safe.

Not to mention that trying to work my fins into the closed spaces would be a major PITA. I don't even like OPEN ladders with my fins on.

All my boat dives have been in warm water destinations (Cozumel, Maui. I'll get a chance to get cooler in August when I do Channel Islands). Those were "take fins off, hand 'em up, climb up ladder" proceedures.

WHY would going up a ladder with fins EVER be a good idea?

in a country like say the USA where there is a 'for profit' medical system... possibly it falls into their advertising budget :D

WHY would going up a ladder with fins EVER be a good idea?

Not on a closed ladder and I agree with TSandM on the feelings. But "tree" ladders are designed to be used with fins on.

Why? If there is a heavy current and you fell off the ladder you have propulsion.

Not on a closed ladder and I agree with TSandM on the feelings. But "tree" ladders are designed to be used with fins on.

Why? If there is a heavy current and you fell off the ladder you have propulsion.

I've never exited with my fins on. I hold on to the ladder with one hand, then take off a fin and slip it up over my hand onto my arm. Switch hands and do it again. If I fall back into the sea I just have to slip my fins back on my feet. I don't want my fins on my feet on the ladder or in the boat until I am.

In NJ, most boats that I've dived on require that you get back with fins on. The ladders are trees but it's still a giant PITA, especially the last step. OTOH, it would be almost impossible to hand up fins on these boats with the height of the ladder and the rough water conditions.

The Eagles Nest is the only Northeast Dive boat I've been on that has this type of ladder, and you don't have a choice, you either do it the Captain's way which is "fins on to board" or you don't go on his vessel at all.

The thread referenced in the first post is HERE and it summarizes a harrowing experience where my girlfriend's first wreck dive didn't end as well as it started, when she experienced difficulty boarding the closed rung ladder with her fins and I was commanded to "STOP HELPING HER!" as I attempted to guide her fins into the rungs.

I will add that I have seen numerous divers experience difficulty with that ladder, including a diver ahead of us who took at least 5 minutes to get it sorted.

I just read idocsteve's report of a dive off a charter boat where the reboarding procedure is to go up a closed-sided ladder with fins ON. Has anybody else ever run into this? It would be a non-starter for me -- if you fell off the ladder and got a fin caught in the opening, the leg fracture you'd end up with would be horrendous. I can't believe someone thinks this is safe.

Not to mention that trying to work my fins into the closed spaces would be a major PITA. I don't even like OPEN ladders with my fins on.

I've never experienced this with a closed sided ladder. It would seem nearly impossible, especially with current. I have climbed up, what I've been told are called "Christmas Tree" ladders, with fins on. It's doable, but difficult in a current, with doubles, in a drysuit, after the second dive :coolingoff:. One of them was vertical (no lean whatsoever), most of the ladder (5') was above water and a real PITA. I hate that boat and rarely dive off it.

I've only ever climbed a tree ladder with fins on. Even those I found to be easier to handle without fins. I wouldn't even know where to begin if someone told me to climb a ladder with closed sides with fins. BTW... Aquacat has the easiest tree ladder I've ever encountered, even the last step isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom