co2 inflator question on snorkel vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
My snorkel vest has a spot for a screw in co2 cartridge. If I do not have one installed and use it is salt water will it wreck the valve or just rinse it out after use?

Thanks,

Dan

It will probably leak without a cartridge in place.

Just crew in an empty one if you have one available or, since the standard screw in CO2 cartridges have the same thread as 3/8" LP port fittings, just install an LP port plug in the empty hole.

Why do you need a vest for snorkeling? They just create drag if you decide to free dive to the bottom.

spacemanspiff1974:
Why do you need a vest for snorkeling? They just create drag if you decide to free dive to the bottom.

You are right with drag issues, except I got into trouble one time. I miscalculated while surfacing from a free dive and I took in a mouthful of water and was choking at the surface. Luckily there was something to grab onto so I could clear my lungs. Would have been happy for an auto inflator vest to give me some float if there was not that object to grab onto.

fookisan

DA Aquamaster:
It will probably leak without a cartridge in place.

Just crew in an empty one if you have one available or, since the standard screw in CO2 cartridges have the same thread as 3/8" LP port fittings, just install an LP port plug in the empty hole.

Thanks, will give it a try when not using co2.

fookisan

spacemanspiff1974:

Vests are required in some areas. They don't tell how much air has to be in them but you must wear them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom