Cobalt 1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MemphisDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hope RonR is around to help.

Dove my Cobalt 1 in pool earlier today getting ready for Little Cayman trip in 1 week. While in pool, in upper right corner of screen where "Dive Time" is usually displayed, only "Dive" was showing. Also, the tank pressure indicator was flashing every 5-10 seconds. Stayed in pool ~8 minutes (~14 feet) and surfaced for a few minutes then went back down - same problem. The computer logged the dives fine in log book and everything else seemed OK.

Although I have the most recent firmware version (1.62), I tried to reload the firmware when I got home to see if that would fix it. Everything went fine until I got to the "Preparing computer for firmware update" step. The computer remained here for ~15 minutes and nothing was happening. I unplugged it and and then followed the procedure described on the Atomic website for "computer won't turn on after update". Now the Cobalt is completely dead.

Any advice short of buying a new computer?

Thanks!

I'll message you with some suggestions for bringing it back up, but I'm wondering about the flashing of the pressure- that could indicate a bad reading, an alert, or possibly a leak. Was it regular or irregular? Was it only the pressure reading?

I would plan on contacting Adan at Atomic Monday AM to see about a quick turnaround before your trip. This seems as if something internal- possibly with the display, might be going on.

Ron

Thanks Ron got your PM and I'll work on it tomorrow. Only the pressure reading was flashing, every 10 seconds or so.

Quick turnaround not crucial - I can borrow a Cobalt from my LDS owner.

Thanks and I'll be in touch!

Thanks Ron got your PM and I'll work on it tomorrow. Only the pressure reading was flashing, every 10 seconds or so.

Quick turnaround not crucial - I can borrow a Cobalt from my LDS owner.

Thanks and I'll be in touch!

Just saying Dive, rather than Dive Time (or Dive Tm) is a graphics/ firmware change to allow more space for the larger countdown timers and some other screen changes. But you should still be seeing actual time values display during a dive- I took your meaning to be you didn't see dive time showing, but rereading your post I’m not sure if you did or not.

A momentary flash of the pressure display is normal when the pressure display sensor update the values, but it should’t be going on and off- the redraw is just a fraction of a second, barely visible. And it should be every three seconds, though it might not be visible every cycle, depending on timing. Might this be what you saw?

I don't know if this is reassuring or not, but it sounds as if you have an option if you want Atomic to check out your Cobalt 1.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom