Cobalt 2 Compass Calibration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abernat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

trying to calibrate my wife's Cobalt 2. We run through the two step process under Calibrate and get Success! When I push the button for Save, we get a tone and then the compass freezes. I can use the buttons to go back up a level to calibrate and start over. Same result (over and over ...)

Can anyone help (Ron in particular)?

Thanks,
Andy

What firmware version do you have? Let me know and I will send info on some diagnostics we can do.

Ron

2.430/2, uploaded today (I was one back due to the computer being back for service - it had the didn't come up from a dive issue). Still same result when trying to calibrate.

Just to be clear, do you actually see the compass- either in the dive screen or in the calibration screen? Ot is there just nothing showing?

I will send you some information in a PM about how to access the compass diagnostic screens. We can take it from there.

Ron

Just to be clear, do you actually see the compass- either in the dive screen or in the calibration screen? Ot is there just nothing showing?

Ron

The calibration process goes smoothly and shows a portion of the compass with the needle rotating as I rotate the computer. When I right arrow with Save highlighted is when things go wrong - continuous beeping tone and screen freezes. I can back button and move around the menus, etc., even select Calibrate and try again.

Thanks, we are looking into this. There may be a problem writing out the calibration data to memory. Will keep you posted as to what we find.

-Ron

Just to update the thread, we tried an alternative calibration method in the Cobalt that seemed to work, and after that the standard method works as well. If anyone sees an issue like this, please contact us here.

-Ron

Just to update the thread, we tried an alternative calibration method in the Cobalt that seemed to work, and after that the standard method works as well. If anyone sees an issue like this, please contact us here.

-Ron
Thank you for providing the update that I should have Ron :)

And particular thanks to Ron for being here when folks have Cobalt issues. Wonderful wonderful resource for a great dive computer!

Ron,
A slightly different question on the Cobalt2 compass. One of my DM candidates loves the computer but complains regularly about having difficulty doing compass navigation patterns due to the compass heading "bouncing all of the place" once he makes a turn. It seems like the compass wont holding a heading once a turn is made. I have not seen this, only reporting what he has said to me in an attempt to resolve his complaints on the unit.

Back
Top Bottom