Cobalt 2 Compass Calibration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has he tried re-calibrating the compass? It almost sounds as if the compass is not really calibrated for all headings. It’s important to get as many orientations as possible during the calibration process so the Cobalt can find the true magnetic vectors. Is there anything in his dive gear, like a magnetic octo holder, that could alter a magnetic compass on some headings? I haven't heard of an issue like this, but that's not to say something odd couldn't happen. If this persists after calibrating, I can send you information on a diagnostic mode for the compass that has an alternative option for calibration.

-Ron

Ron,

Thank you for the quick response. I know that he has calibrated the unit at least twice. I know that he has an octo holder, I will check if it is a magnetic model and update the thread if that is the issue.

Thanks again

I'd have someone else try calibrating, just in case the instructions were misunderstood, and test the compass on land to make sure it's responding properly. The compass doesn't know if the Cobalt is in air or water, so response will be the same. Like all magnetic compasses it can be thrown off by other magnets or large pieces of ferrous metal very nearby- but they would need to be pretty close. Let me know if you see a problem and if you do we can proceed to some built-in diagnostics.

Ron

Update on the bouncing compass, the magnetic octo holder was the culprit. Amazing how the magnetic holder worn on the right hip effects the electronic compass so much, a regular wet compass has to be much closer to the magnetic source to even get a little movement.

User error not equipment related

Issue resolved, thanks Ron.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom