Cobalt 2 Issues..... Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidRDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Was doing some quarry dives today, had 2 dives before my Cobalt decided I was not through diving. I has been stuck at 3 ft, and the dive has now been continuing for 394 minutes..... or so the computer thinks.I can't get tit to connect to my computer and can't get it to shut down or change screens. Obviously it still thinks I am sitting in 3 feet of water. Fortunately my $250 backup computer is letting me continue to dive. Just wondering what I need to do here.....

My Cobalt 1, did the same thing. It did finally shut down after a certain time, I don't remember what it was. They had me send it in. They said that the depth sensor was bad and they sent me a new computer. Good luck, at least their customer service is one of the best in the industry.

Should have gotten a Shearwater Petrel :D :D :D

Thanks that was really helpfull....

It's more helpful than it might appear. Atomic has awesome service/support, so you can send it back to them and they'll get it sorted out and back in your hands fast, free, and without hassle (best to just call them up). If it's screwed enough, they'll give you a new box o' Cobalt - they did when mine imploded at 190'.

Either way, once it's back and all ready to go, you should have no problem selling it for more than enough $ to buy a shiny new Petrel. Interface is just as good as Atomic, and actually allows a lot more flexibility in the water re: changing dive plans, gasses, and conservatism on the fly.

While I didnt sell our new warranty unit, it was sure nice to have a spare QD hose! Plus an extra charger doesn't hurt either.

The extra hose did save a dive back in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife's cobalt 2 did this in Bonaire back in August. I think hers recorded the dive being around 200 minutes. When we noticed it was still recording we went down the road to Andrea and did another dive. Either putting it back in the water or the slight elevation change corrected the issue.

I still use my colbalt 1 (was replaced once) and have right around 180 dives on it with no issues.

I do wear a second computer incase we need a spare on our trips.

There was an issue with Cobalt 2 production, early on, with some potentially bad depth sensors that passed all testing but fail in the field. If these fail, they will read a slightly deeper depth than is accurate. In many cases this would not be noticeable, but if the discrepancy is over 3', it can mean the computer won't come out of the dive- a major irritation. It sounds very much as if this is what you are experiencing. It may appear to correct if out of the water for a long while, but we need to regard this correction as temporary. The only fix is to return the Cobalt to Atomic for a PCB transplant that will give it a new depth sensor. I would encourage you to contact Adan at Atomic adan.campos@huishoutdoors.com - they are very good about service. This issue was covered extensively in the Computers section of SB on the Cobalt 2 thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/475970-atomic-cobalt-2-a.html

This isn't an ongoing problem, except in the sense that all dive computer depth sensors will have some failures. This identical sensor is used by many dive computers, and has been for years.

If anyone has a question about their Cobalt 2. You can easily check the accuracy of the depth sensor by comparing the atmospheric pressure reading on the System Info screen to a known local reading at your altitude. It should be plus or minus 30 mbar or so (a foot of sea water = about 30 mbar), and the temperature reading should be within reason. Most places have a local weather station you can access online- we use one from a local university. Unfortunately most of the commercial weather services in the US display the pressure in inches of Mercury, To convert inches of mercury to millibars, multiply the inches value by 33.8637526. The value the Cobalt displays should go up and down with actual atmospheric pressure, and not oscillate by large amounts within a few minutes. Changes of several mbar over a short span of time are normal, however, as atmospheric pressure does fluctuate.

Note that if you are above sea level you will need to convert local weather barometric pressure data to remove the altitude correction that is usually added by weather services. You need to know your actual altitude to do this. The Cobalt displays actual pressure data- the surface ambient pressure is what is needed for decompression calculations. Most weather services provide a "sea level corrected" number. Unless the value is specifically listed as "station pressure”, this correction must be removed to determine the physical atmospheric pressure. Online calculators such as Above Sea Level Barometer Reading Correction Calculator can do this for you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, but Atomic should be able to fix this for you quickly.

Ron

Ron, I am returning it to my LDS, tomorrow and they are sending it in. It finally ended the dive after 640+minutes. It was strange because after the first dive of the day it showed I needed to go back down for 22 seconds. I did not blow off a safety stop and only chased behind students for a max depth 25' dive. When I could finally look at the profile it indicated all three times I went to depth. I did 2 additional dives yesterday morning and the computer indicated I was at 1 or 2 foot of depth after completing the dive. It did shut down though. I also noted that the surface interval times were not correct. It indicated 4 minutes after my first dive when in reality it was around an hour. I am diving again this weekend but am borrowing a Cobalt 1 from one of my buddies.

Thanks!

Yes, all of the odd behaviors you describe could be caused by the pressure sensor reading too deep at points, or reading inconsistently. The failure to end a dive will only come up if the depth is seen as greater than 3'. Atomic has an efficient system for replacing these, so it should get taken care of quickly.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom