Cobalt 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ron, Any updates?
re. MacDive? Sort of an update, but no solution yet. As far as we can tell, it seems to be an issue with some Mac systems and MacDive communication via USB- the Cobalt being a dive computer that uses "real" USB, not a serial interface. Nick headed off on a dive trip, so things were on hold for a short while. I'm sure it will get sorted out, but it's an odd thing, as it works fine on most systems.

There is a 2.14 update for the Cobalt 2, Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Updates . It fixes some display issues that were in 2.13.

Ron

Nick has created a new version of Macdive and it now works fine on my mac. Also, the latest firmware addresses some of the screen display issues I was having. Although, there is still some text getting cut-off on one of the screens.

I didn't find release notes, but dove with my Cobalt 2 this weekend and had what you might call a Display Issue. On dive 7, my alarm went off at 750psi (as it should), then the amount of air I had left went away...just blank. It still had Air Time (Amount of time left on air), but the display didn't come back till I got back to shore. (ended the dive when it stopped displaying air and surface-swam to the pier)

Are there release notes anywhere?

Has anyone noticed inaccurate temp readings?

I didn't find release notes, but dove with my Cobalt 2 this weekend and had what you might call a Display Issue. On dive 7, my alarm went off at 750psi (as it should), then the amount of air I had left went away...just blank. It still had Air Time (Amount of time left on air), but the display didn't come back till I got back to shore. (ended the dive when it stopped displaying air and surface-swam to the pier)

I had a somewhat similar incident with my computer where I was getting incorrect readings on my computer, but the dive log was correct. I believe the latest firmware release addressed the issue. I have not dove since I've updated the firmware.

I noticed a discrepancy this weekend... But didn't have another thermometer to verify

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maybe the firmware will address this, if its an issue for many. 4-5 degree difference

Can you let me know what firmware version you were using? What you describe sounds much like an issue that was sometimes triggered by the low gas alarm, where some portion of the display would not update. That should be fixed in recent versions, including the 2.14 currently posted. I'm guessing the pressure is recorded correctly in the log.

I will try to put together release notes for the updates and post them here.

Ron

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 08:19 AM ----------

Nick has created a new version of Macdive and it now works fine on my mac. Also, the latest firmware addresses some of the screen display issues I was having. Although, there is still some text getting cut-off on one of the screens.

Can you let me know on what screen you are seeing a text display problem?

There is a 2.15 version that should be posted soon, this update mainly changes some details about how gas switching operates- it keeps gas switching enabled after the end of a dive, until the no-fly time is passed. This was so a diver surfacing for more than two minutes would not have gas switching disabled if they re-descended. It also fixes an issue where entering the water with the Cobalt asleep would sometimes result in it displaying and storing a zero gas pressure for the first few seconds of a dive.

Ron

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 08:38 AM ----------

Has anyone noticed inaccurate temp readings?

The temperature display comes from the depth sensor. We do have diagnostics available that can compare this output with other internal sensors, and you can check the temperature at any time in the System info screen. If it seems really off you would want to do that, and also verify that the sensor is reading correct atmospheric pressure. The System Info screen is intended to provide a place to check the accuracy of the sensors, among other things. You can usually find local atmospheric pressure in mbar online, the Cobalt should be tracking that within 5 mbar or so.

One of the things that we suspect happens in diving is that when the Cobalt is held in your hand for a bit, the case warms up, and since it is fairly massive and the depth sensor is right below where it would most often be held, it tends to read a few degrees higher. All I can say is that whenever we have checked Cobalts customers said were reading high against a calibrated thermometer in a stable environment, they have been within a degree or two of correct. And the complaints have been about the temperature reading higher, not lower.

If you check the temperature reading on the surface, does it seem correct?

Ron

Back
Top Bottom