Cochran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dstang65

Registered
Reaction score
Good, bad, ugly? Still doing the reg computer debate, but I just joined a school dive club which subsidizes my dives so I'm gonna be getting wet a lot more often, and it seems that the computer and a Nitrox cert are a good investment. So, the question I pose...Cochran commander nitrox, Uwatec Ultra Nitrox, or something else? Need the expert opinions which you wonderful scubasource members(or is it Neptune Divers now) have always provided me with, so hit me with your best shots. Thanks

Dan

I agree with Rodale's on this one - best bang for the buck is the Oceanic Data Plus. Inexpensive with all the essential features. Downside - (1) you must turn it on yourself; (2) you must reset the mix between every dive.
Otherwise, it's just great.
Rick

Dstang, what kind of diving do you do? Is price a factor in your decision? I really like the Suunto Cobra, Uwatec Aladin Air Z o2, Data Trans Plus & Abysmal. Let us know what you want to do with it and we'll go from there.

Stang,

Have you noticed that nobody mentioned the Cochran?

Could there be a reason?

You bet?

I have always been a staunch supporter of Cochran Computers, you can go back several months and see the "discussions" that Mario & I have had. But this past weekend things changed.

Used my "Gemini Nitrox" for the past 2 weekends in the pool, no problems. Traveled 3000 miles to Cozumel and it crapped out on me 1st dive. What good are all the features if it won't come on. NO there is no "operator error" involved here. Just plain unreliability.

(yes batteries are good)

No wonder on some of the technical sites I have been checking out, will not let you dive with a Cochran. It took me this lesson to learn to listen to somebody with experience. Mine is up for sale--------any takers.

Crow pie taste ucky

Don

BTW, having had a good instructor and used my tables for numerous dives before I graduated to a dive computer, completed the weekend on my SPG, bottom timer and DIVE TABLES.

Don again

Don,

What exactly is the Gemini nitrox? over the last 5 years or so the only Cochran computers I have seen imported into the UK are the Commander (both air and nitrox version), captain (air only) and Nemesis IIa (air integrated, air and nitrox versions)

Like the others does it use a modified Haldanean model?

thanks for any info, although it is more from idle curiosity than any real desire for this computer.

Jon T

Iguana Don

I have a cochran commander nitrox. Dive shop I purchased it from used them in their rental dept. as well as the storeowner, talked of how good they were. Is my first computer, knew when I bought it that I was going to go dual mix. Have had it about a year, no problems. The board seems to not like the cochran. Why is this?

Just when I was starting to calm down..........

It is my opinion, based on our experience here on Bikini, that the following computers are not suitable for the kind of diving we do on Bikini and are therefore NOT recommended:
NOT RECOMMENDED:
All OCEANIC computers
U.S. Divers MATRIX
All SOURCE computers
Scuba Pro DC 12
Orca EDGE
Dive-Rite B'AIR
Cochran Nemesis and Commander computers [If you have a Cochran Computer, please read this]
Suunto Viper and Cobra
Dive Rite "C"

This is a quote that came from the Bikini Atoll Web Page, from the head divemaster. There are other reasons also as you can see from my previous post. Also my cave instructor said "NO" and that's good enough for me.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom