Cochran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read the posts here and checked out the links. I'm glad to see Fabio got rid of those long blonde locks and started doing something useful. I always suspected he had dark roots! :wink:

Anyway, I have a Cochran Commander Nitrox I purchased several years ago. I only got it because I got a very good deal on it, I had no real pressing need for a computer, but wanted something to better monitor ascent rates and remaining bottom times. I do not do any deco diving, so I can't comment on those features, I've never used them. Also I've yet to do more than a standard two-tank dive in one day, no flying after diving. I've also never used the PC download feature because since I do not do any deco diving, I have no need to expend another $100 or so on software to analyze my dives profiles, big deal!

I do not wear it on my wrist, I bought the console for it. That's only because I just don't like ANYTHING on my wrist when I'm diving, just a personal preference.
You can configure the console two ways. You have a choice of having the compass mounted with the console, or without. Initially I mounted the compass on the console, but later changed that because in order to do that, it uses a hard plastic stick that inserts behind the compass, computer and spg. It broke on me twice, second time underwater w/o me realizing it, so I lost the compass.
As far as the computer itself, my only complaint is it's a pain-in-the-ass to try to reprogram the mix for my second dive. I often dive air on the first dive, then EAN on the second dive. These are all no-deco dives. In sum, knowing what I know now, I would probably not have gotten a Cochran, mostly because it's overkill for the type of diving I do, and the fact that it's hard to reprogram the mix, especially on a crowded, rocking boat.

hmmm Greg we must have bought our cochrans from the same person at the right price?? I have the same computer with the same hassles.I do similar type of dives and have no real need for the pc analizer.I am browsing the board for opinions on various computers.getting a feel for what works and what does not.This is my first computer and I did not know of scubaboard at that time.I have read the threads & links on cochran and I am suprised.(I also dive with a separate bottom timer just in case)thanks for the info everybody. Les

Well, then Mvrick. I guess it just depends on who is talking about it. Mebbe they're all pretty good. I mean, after all the undersea environment is pretty hostile and most anything designed specifically for that environment has GOT to be pretty rugged, I guess. I sure do like the sound of tha Cochran........

Ever in a quandary,
Jack

If you set up your conservatism wrong you'll have a long long long deco.... If you set your mixes wrong same thing can happen. It isn't for everbody because it seems like if you have the right code the unit would even change to invisible for everybody else but you. On the Bikini Atol sight. They had said that on one dive it got a diver out 20-30 min before the instructors Dive Rite 3 Said it was safe. Well if the instructor had his computer set for a little conservatism or had his gasses set wrong. I guess that could easily happen. Or if the diver who wanted out had his gasses set wrong that could have been the problem. They are just saying it's bad, don't use it. They aren't relating the facts of the dive. Which the Cochrans show on there dive profile when you download it. In fact they tell you a Huge amound of information. More than you'll need. I don't like the Dive Rite 3 because it's hard to read, the numbers are to small. My Nemesis 2a does get me out of the water faster than a DiveRite 3 though. It's how it's program is set up. They run a different alogrythm.

This is from the Rodale's site..
The NiTek3 can be set for one, two or three different gases of 21 to 99 percent oxygen. The simpler and less costly NiTek1 can be set for one gas in this same range and costs $400 less.

These computers are conservative on shallow single dives, liberal on single deep dives and average on multilevel dives. No prompt card is supplied, but some information is given with a sticker on the inside lid of the carrying box.

The Dive Rite NiTek3 has the most confusing, perplexing and problematic instructions and procedures we have ever found while testing dive computers, an honor they share with the Sherwood Scuba AWAC-1. The Dive Rite and Sherwood are very different computers, but appear to be made by the same original equipment manufacturer.

A few examples of the Nitek3's anomalies: If you have a decompression stop violation and you cannot get below the stop level, you are told to go to three to seven feet and stay until the computer returns to dive mode. Not only is this impractical, but it is in conflict with any reasonable outgassing for the diver and, especially, seems to make no sense, as the Dive Rite and Sherwood computers turn off and on with five feet of water pressure.

This is from divernet.
The algorithms used by the Nitek3 are modified Bühlmann 16 with nine theoretical tissue compartments for monitoring nitrogen up-take, combined with an algorithm by Hamilton/Bohrer for monitoring oxygen exposure. Decompression requirements when set to nitrox 21 (air) seem to be broadly in line with other computers such as Aladins and Suuntos.
The Head guy on Bikini uses the DiveRite 3 and recomends it. But it does sound like it has it's problems if you don't know how to set it up right too.

So what this is saying seems like it wouldn't be that great of a computer either. BUT, If you know how to use it it's fine. These aren't the candy store variety computers. These are set up for a purpose. If you don't know what you're doing with them DON'T USE ONE....
The Nemesis 2a is a very liberal computer and will and can get you out of the water MUCH faster than others in certain instances. It can also make you stay in longer in certain instances. The alogrythms aren't the same so they calculate differently.

In various test, the Nemesis program did get them out of the water much faster than the Dive Rite. The Dive Rite required 13 extra min of Deco. Using the same gasses on the same dive...
Mine work and I've never been bent. I also do a 3-5 min extra hang also. Just in case. I do it no matter what computer I'm using....

And about failures. I've heard of every different brand having a failure. Every one. Cochran had trouble in the old day's and I'm sure they will still have a few fail but they found the original problem and fixed it. Have you ever had to take a car in for warranty work? Have you known anybody that has? Anyway if you do get one. Learn how to program it properly and I don't think you'll have a problem. That's with any computer out there. If you want a great REGULAR one get a Cobra. They seem easy to use. Much easier than a 3 gas Cochran. But then again, they wont do 3 gas dives.....
But if you want the new wing ding computer that wouldn't be any that are mentioned here.
http://www.abysmal.com/pages/features-explorer.html
The new Abysmal will do Trimix. And you can choose between 10 different mixes while underwater. Say your buddy has a differnt mix than you and you have a valve failure. You can switch to his gas and the computer will still track it for you. It will also run any one of 10 different alogrythms. You get to choose which one you're comfortable with. It isn't air integrated though. But for this type of diving that's not a problem anyway.

Yanno, Stephen,
Thanks a million for the tip. I have been wanting to check out that shop for a while. I am beginning to suspect that the Gemini+ is a tad more than I need.... I want a hoseless that will handle single mix no-decompression dives up to 50% O2. I also want one that lets me have a say about conservatism, and which does not go into paralysis for 24 hours if I make a mistake. I really liked the idea that the "puter" part was mounted at the 1st stage and the sampling rate and easily replaceable batteries of the Cochran, but I don't need tri-mix capability or tank/mixture change capability, so I figure I need to study the Cochran website a bit more, cept it's not very informative all in all. Fortunately (?) I've decided to plunk for a new desktop computer before I get a dive computer, so I have a while to study up while I save up.

Best Regards,
Jack

At the time, Cochran had a deal were if you traded in your old computer, they knocked a couple hundred dollars off the price. That brought the price to below anything else I saw, so I figured what the hell. A buddy had an old hocky-puck computer that he gave me, so I went for it. I did buy the interface for the pc, thinking I was going to get the software eventually too, but the interface was only about $40, and the software was around $100 last I looked. The more I thought about it...nah, other more useful dive toys I can use that money for.

Originally posted by Les
hmmm Greg we must have bought our cochrans from the same person at the right price?? I have the same computer with the same hassles.I do similar type of dives and have no real need for the pc analizer.I am browsing the board for opinions on various computers.getting a feel for what works and what does not.This is my first computer and I did not know of scubaboard at that time.I have read the threads & links on cochran and I am suprised.(I also dive with a separate bottom timer just in case)thanks for the info everybody. Les

Back
Top Bottom