Cochran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Dee
I know this is a long thread but...

About the Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus, you said "(2) you must reset the mix between every dive"

If you have the FO2 50% default set to No (off), the Nitrox setting will remain until you change it.

Pg. 27 in the owners manual.

Speaking of long delays... I just found this post.
My post was concerning the Data Plus, which doesn't have the option to turn off the FO2 50% feature, and must be reset between every dive (unless set for air).
Rick

I guess they use an Abacus, EH!

You don't happen to work for/represent Cochran, do you? You seem to be reviiving some very old threads specific only to Cochran computers.

I've had a Cochran Commander Nitrox for several years and had always thought it was an excellent computer, during over 500 dives it had always done well by me... until last week in Truk. None of the dives were particularly aggressive, and deco was never more than half an hour, but on several days during dives later in the day it would add a minute to the 10' stop every three seconds (one dive had over 6 hours at the 10' stop with nothing at the 20', which suggests there's an error in the calculation somewhere).

I'd always had my suspicions about the stuff on the Bikini site, until now.

No, I just joined the other day and thought I'd have some fun. Like myself you too read the old threads.

No, I don't work for cochran either but I'll revive this thread anyway...

A guy at my LDS said he'd sell me a Cochran EMC-16 1-mix nitrox for $500, and knock 15% off that if I buy it with a regulator (which I was planning on doing anyway). Should I go for that deal? I do only recreational, no-deco, air-only diving at less than 100'. (though I plan on getting nitrox certified sometime) I was also thinking about the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, which I believe is more expensive than $500.
I've read the reliability complaints about cochrans, but I've also read similar complaints on this board for just about every computer out there.

Should I go for this deal?

Oh, and the LDS also sells oceanic, suunto, uwatec, etc...

A guy at my LDS said he'd sell me a Cochran EMC-16 1-mix nitrox for $500, and knock 15% off that if I buy it with a regulator (which I was planning on doing anyway). Should I go for that deal? I do only recreational, no-deco, air-only diving at less than 100'. (though I plan on getting nitrox certified sometime) I was also thinking about the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, which I believe is more expensive than $500.
I've read the reliability complaints about cochrans, but I've also read similar complaints on this board for just about every computer out there.

If the Bikini Atoll reports from five years ago give you pause about the Cochran computers, you might be interested to see their response to them:
Cochran Undersea Technology

Buy it. I have had mine for some time now and no problems. One thing I like about Cochran is if you buy a non nitrox comp you can send it in and they reprogram it. No need to spend another $500. Yes you have to pay for the upgrade but it isn't that expensive.

Buy it. I have had mine for some time now and no problems. One thing I like about Cochran is if you buy a non nitrox comp you can send it in and they reprogram it. No need to spend another $500. Yes you have to pay for the upgrade but it isn't that expensive.

You actually don't have to send it in. Any Cochran dealer can do it for you. Because dealers can do the upgrade themselves, knocking off the cost of the 1 mix upgrade is fairly common. %15 off and the upgrade is a pretty good deal though.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and love the thing. Having the taclite on night dives is really nice.

The biggest issue is the cost of the download software. $300 is a little high to just be able to download your profiles. If you're interested in the software, see if they can knock some $$$ off that too.

Jake

Thanks for the info nwbrewer. When I got mine, DAN was doing an offer to upgrade to nitrox and throw in the software for free. So I got one heck of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom