Cochran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I meant in that post to see the "Read This" on Cochran Computers. Probably should have made it in bold.

ID

sorry ID for the trip down memory lane.thanks for your help in regards to my cochran.food for thought.will look at other brands the board has recommended
ps.-bikini looks cool

This will probably add fuel to the fire, but now that I am totally lost, can somebody please provide me with a guiding hand?
I was set on buying the Cochran Gemini Nitrox or Lifeguard computers (hoseless set-up).
Basically, I have been told that they are the ants pants of commercial computers, that the amount of information it provides is unsurpassed and that the SEALs use it. Reliability was mentioned as one of its strong points and I am surprised to hear of all these incidents.
Could somebody give me an opinion on these computers and the software, particularly when Cochran introduced the new improved stuff. If I wish to buy a second hand one, how old can it be before I should say no.
Cheers
Boz

Let's just say that there aren't too many dive professionals whom believe in the product. Whether that means something to you or not, you decide. I have many many Seal friends... I challenge you to ask some seal team members what they use when they dive recreationally... betcha it isn't a Cochran.

Mario,
thanks for your reply. Can you recommend one in particular or at least a couple? I'm a military diver and would like to trial some, write a report and then hopefully start bringing them into the system.

Boz

Where you are going, I've been. It's not too easy to bring new gear into 'the system'. It's hell going through the approval process, but I can point you in the right direction. Just let me know what the objective of the dive is. Meaning how would you like to use the unit.

• Air Integrated or Non-Air Integrated?
  • Hosed or Hoseless?
  • Open Circuit or Closed Circuit?
  • Air or Exotic gas blend?
  • Are non-magnetic properties a factor?
  • Wrist or Console mount?
  • etc etc etc

Don't blow bubbles, blow away the enemy! Terror from the depths!

I know this is a long thread but...

About the Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus, you said "(2) you must reset the mix between every dive"

If you have the FO2 50% default set to No (off), the Nitrox setting will remain until you change it.

Pg. 27 in the owners manual.

Hmmmm....I own a Genesis ReAct (pretty much the same computer).....will have to check my manual to see if it says the same thing.

Geeze! This forum is great! I was pretty hot to buy an Oceanic Data Trans Plus. I was surfing around looking for it when I ran into Cochran. After reading about them I was really hot to get a Cochran Gemini Nitrox instead of the Oceanic. I especially liked the fact that the Computer part of the system is attached to the first stage rather than the wrist. But after reading this thread, I think I'll go back to longing for the Oceanic (until I just go put the thing on Visa!). Nothing is as important a feature to me as reliability. Good Thread.

Cheers,
Jack in Phoenix

Actually I have 2. One was a used version and I just bought a new old stock verstion. For $280.... I was a little worried when I heard these reports about Cochrans AFTER I bought the first one. I haven't had any problems with either one. And I love them. I'd only swap them for the new NAVY or GEMINI NITROX when it comes out or the Abysmal.
I have SEAL friends too. Funny thing is they hate diving cold water and said that they're training dives were in the Keys. This is after there original training. And none of them use computers. None. They just thought they were a gadget. They'd rather just go off tables. But I imagine others use them. Just the one's I know don't..... Kinda different..... None of them are into the New gear craze either.... They dive what they have.... When it breaks is when they seem to buy new gear....

Back
Top Bottom